Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I have always had males and they have never been randy at all. One was dominant, and ran at me, he was neutered and it totally ruined him, his coat became dreadful, I would never do it again unless I had a damn good reason.
Dawn.
Hmm yes I don't know if its just coincidence but Binka was a nicer rabbit before he was neutered - he now flys at our hand if we put our hand in his pen now and grunts and sometimes growls - I'm a bit scared of him and my o/h feeds him now cos I don't trust him
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-11-2006, 01:17 PM
I liaise with to rescues who neuter hundreds or maybe even thousands of rabbits per year between them, and can honestly say that the I'm not even sure I can think of one case where this has happened, so it does sound fairly unfortunate that both of you have had a negative experience of it. I've also had many of my own buns neutered ranging from about 15 weeks, through to 4 years old, and haven't had a single incidence of negative repercussions. Mostly I haven't noticed any difference in behaviour, but I have had one or two get more placid. It's definitely an unusual and not a common occurrence.

Of course I'd say that the damn good reason for neutering is so that the bun can have a friend - they are social animals and personally I think one of the best things you can do for them is have them snipped and allow them to have company of their own kind.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Like with male Dogs, if you have a Rabbit that shows signs of aggression or nervousness, neutering can make it worse, I have heard of several developing nasty behaviour post castration, I would never do it again, it ruined my rabbit, sounds like Binka has gone the same way Foxy, I never heard you say he was a nasty Bunny before.
Dawn.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Like with male Dogs, if you have a Rabbit that shows signs of aggression or nervousness, neutering can make it worse, I have heard of several developing nasty behaviour post castration, I would never do it again, it ruined my rabbit, sounds like Binka has gone the same way Foxy, I never heard you say he was a nasty Bunny before.
Dawn.
No he was lovely when he was young last year but it may be just that he has got older and the aggression has kicked in because of that. Rosie is lovely and never shows any aggression but she is only about 9 months old and hasn't been neutered
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-11-2006, 02:50 PM
Were all the ones you've heard about done at the same vets?? There are a couple of different techniques used, maybe that can make a difference??

Maybe presenting them for neutering while they are still very nervous, just reinforces the behaviour that humans are to be feared?? Most of the places I know of will leave very nervous buns to settle and gain confidence, maybe for several weeks, before going for a neuter. I often foster these buns for people as I have more time to work with them than a rescue with 60 or so others to look after - and not a single one has been a problem. I don't dispute what you're saying, just that it makes me wonder if there is something else going on there, because it is certainly not normal or usual.
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Interesting! I've just done a poll on another rabbit forum and so far 5 people have said they thought their bun stayed the same or got friendlier, and 3 have said they thought their bun got grumpier - I'll keep you updated as the poll progresses!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Fluffybunny View Post
Interesting! I've just done a poll on another rabbit forum and so far 5 people have said they thought their bun stayed the same or got friendlier, and 3 have said they thought their bun got grumpier - I'll keep you updated as the poll progresses!
Hmmm that's interesting Fluffy - I suppose it affects different rabbits different ways doesn't it Binka is definitely in the grumpy catagory although even if he hadn't been neutered he might still have become grumpy might he
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Well that seems to be the consensus at the moment from a couple of people (one runs a rescue, the other has 38 - yes, 38! rabbits) That most bun neuters are done while the rabbit is young and therefore the personality change would have happened as the bun matures anyway, so that makes it look like the neuter was the cause. It's now up to 6 stay the same, 3 got better, 6 worse - although I should say that people can only vote once so the 38 buns lady only got to vote 'stay the same' once for all her buns LOL! Interesting though, will see what the poll says tomorrow!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Thanks for doing that Fluffy, Ill be interested to hear he results.
Dawn.
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 08:16 AM
Oh wow ! Go away for 5 mins and this is what happens

Well i will hang and see what this poll says. So far Thumper isn't trying to hump Snuffles, they seem very happy together. He has a lovely nature, and was hand reared, so hopefully he will be confident and happy etc.

Keep us posted Fluffy

x x
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >