Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 07:41 PM

Neuter male bunny?

Help Fluffy...
Following on from Foxy's last post i was just thinking maybe I should get Thumper neutered? He is only a few months old, but my guess is he'll get randy pretty soon? Can he be done now, or should I wait tell he's a bit older? Rescue never mentioned anything about this

Cheers x
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 07:51 PM
Oooh all these poor bunnies going for the chop I think I read somewhere that it is better done younger because it heals quicker or something. How old is Thumper?
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Hello DoggyD! Most vets will do boy bunnies as soon as their testicles have descended (i.e. when you turn him over and have a look, you can see that his plums are there) and the bun has reached a kilo in weight. This is usually around 12-16 weeks, some vets prefer to wait a bit longer but most will be happy to do it then. Hope that helps!! Fluffy x
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
Oooh all these poor bunnies going for the chop I think I read somewhere that it is better done younger because it heals quicker or something. How old is Thumper?
Not too sure Foxy Basically there was a young litter of bunnies dumped at the SSPCA. The vets had to hand rear them as they were so young. So I only know a few months, if i spoke to the vets they could prob pin point it more, and they are my vets anyway. Think i'll give them a bell 2mo and see what they say.
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Fluffybunny View Post
Hello DoggyD! Most vets will do boy bunnies as soon as their testicles have descended (i.e. when you turn him over and have a look, you can see that his plums are there) and the bun has reached a kilo in weight. This is usually around 12-16 weeks, some vets prefer to wait a bit longer but most will be happy to do it then. Hope that helps!! Fluffy x
IT does Fluffy thanks. Going to speak to vets 2mo, will have a look in the morning, see if i can see anything.

Thanks x
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Doggydina View Post
IT does Fluffy thanks. Going to speak to vets 2mo, will have a look in the morning, see if i can see anything.

Thanks x
You might have a bigger shock and find he is a she I had a rabbit once that was sold as a male and I never knew any different until he gave birth to some baby bunnies - they were all dead though because I hadn't a clue he (or she) was having them - my large French free range lop rabbit had opened the cage and let him and another rabbit out and got them both pregnant
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 01:05 AM
Good luck with your bunny neutering My vet wanted to wait until 5 months
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
You might have a bigger shock and find he is a she I had a rabbit once that was sold as a male and I never knew any different until he gave birth to some baby bunnies - they were all dead though because I hadn't a clue he (or she) was having them - my large French free range lop rabbit had opened the cage and let him and another rabbit out and got them both pregnant
Naughty boy
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by BrandieSnap View Post
Good luck with your bunny neutering My vet wanted to wait until 5 months
Thanks BS ! Will keep ya's all posted
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 12:12 PM
I have always had males and they have never been randy at all. One was dominant, and ran at me, he was neutered and it totally ruined him, his coat became dreadful, I would never do it again unless I had a damn good reason.
Dawn.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >