Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 05:21 PM

Another rabbit question.

My sister had a sort of rescue rabbit a couple of months ago and he is a male but not neutered. She is wondering about getting a neutered female from a rescue because she says he looks lonely. Would she be able to put a neutered female with an male that hasn't been neutered - I didn't think a rescue would let her have a female until her rabbit has been neutered
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Not really, being a male he will be very frisky and will keep on trying to hump her (this is normal even for neutered rabbits during bonding but this won't stop as it will also be hormonal). She will get very cross with him and this will most likely end in a fight. I've also seen a male hump the females head, and again if the female gets fed up, she can bite his bits - I've seen some serious injuries from this!!

Best option is to get him neutered then find him a nice girlie - ideally get a rescue to do the introductions that way she won't risk ending up with 2 buns who don't get on. If she says he looks lonely then he probably is, as they are social creatures, so please try and encourage her to book him in for the snip!

Fluffy x
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Fluffybunny View Post
Not really, being a male he will be very frisky and will keep on trying to hump her (this is normal even for neutered rabbits during bonding but this won't stop as it will also be hormonal). She will get very cross with him and this will most likely end in a fight. I've also seen a male hump the females head, and again if the female gets fed up, she can bite his bits - I've seen some serious injuries from this!!

Best option is to get him neutered then find him a nice girlie - ideally get a rescue to do the introductions that way she won't risk ending up with 2 buns who don't get on. If she says he looks lonely then he probably is, as they are social creatures, so please try and encourage her to book him in for the snip!

Fluffy x
Thanks Fluffy - yes thats what I thought that he would be too frisky for her. She said she doesn't mind having him neutered think she is just a bit scared of something going wrong with him. I'll tell her to book him in my vets cos Binka was absolutely fine.