Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 11:43 AM

Poor gull yesterday

Yesterday in the car there was a young herring gull wandering about the road with a obvious broken wing ,so stopped the car and caught it ,lots of painful pecks to my hands and arms then as I got into the car with it the gull managed to peck me right in the nose resulting in blood pouring everywhere from my now very painful nose I should have wrapped the gull in my jumper first as I know how defensive they can be
Well after the bleeding had finaly stopped and the gull was safely wrapped in my jumper I cleaned myself up as best I could and went straight to the vets ,I had to leave it at the vets and they phoned me after they had time to examine it ,sadly the wing had been broken for a few days so was too far gone to be able to repair ,I did talk to the vet about amputation as I could look after the gull here for the rest of its life ,but in the end we decided it was best to put it to sleep I felt so awful making the life or death decision and with only a young bird too
at least its suffering is over now I hate making the decision and keep thinking was that the right one or would I have been able to give it a happy life
My nose is still not right and 10 mins ago it started dripping of blood again
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-11-2006, 12:42 PM
but can you imagine how horribly it would have died if you hadn't stepped in? I think you are very brave to have done something like that. Also I am sure if your vet thought that you looking after it would have been the right thing to do then he would have said so.
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Aww! You did the right thing, and you are right, his suffering is now over.

Your poor nose too...
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 12:56 PM
thanks
in a way I know it was the right thing to do ,its just always a awful thing to have to do ,it never seem to get any easier

I'm sure my nose will recover soon ,but its even worse that I have a cold at the moment so if I blow my nose too hard the bleeding will just start again
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-11-2006, 01:01 PM
most people would have left it to suffer, you did everything, and more, that you could.
Sorry about your poor nose though, talk about ingratitude!!!
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

14-11-2006, 01:10 PM
You did the right think poor bird it is now out of its pain . Hope your cold gets better soon and that your pecked beak oops sorry nose lol is soon back to normal.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 02:15 PM
You did a great job - and the bird is not suffering anymore. We came across a pheasant a few weeks ago with a broken wing and my OH got out and wrung it's poor neck. I felt awful for the bird, but better that than suffering for hours or even days
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by PurpleJackdaw View Post
thanks
in a way I know it was the right thing to do ,its just always a awful thing to have to do ,it never seem to get any easier
Know exactly what you mean ! Nothing worse for pulling on the heart strings