Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 12:34 PM

For those of you who work full time ...

When do you walk your dog/s ? I've just recently moved and my whole routine has had to change. But it got me thinking, for those of you who work full time, do you walk your dogs in the morning/evening/both ?

I've now got a really nice park right opposite the house, which is used by a lot of dog walkers, and yesterday I took them out for a wander to see how long it would take for me to do a small block walk and it got me thinking when do most people (who work normal hours) walk their dog ?

Round here I think most of them do it before they go to work and thats it. Mine only get one a day, but it's not a boring pavement pounding one, with nothing off lead, I always stop at a park or in the woods and do a search with dummies/ball/toy to get their minds working.

But just wondered what other Dogsey members did ?
kiwijan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-10-2006, 01:05 PM
Jonah gets walked twice a day - half an hour in the morning (road and park) then a good hour late afternoon or early evening. Mind you this may have to change since he is still too scared to go out after dark since his fireworks scare! In the weekends he gets at least 2 hours both days and we always try and go somewhere new. Any excess energy is worked off in the garden!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Generally in the afternoon for Teagan, as I work funny shifts (mornings and nights) - she gets about an hour - road and playing in the park etc.
But at weekends she gets longer, and we go to different places (beaches etc)
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Get up early in the morning,
put on some old cloths,
put on my hat ,
go for a walk with the 2 malinois,
feed them,
come in, wash my hands,
prepare breakfast for my son, get him out of bed (difficult one),
change cloths and wash myself.
check if my son has eaten and has brushed his teeth,
take my keys,
open the door at this point my wifes papillion wakes up and leaves with me,
stop at my parents place,
open the door of my car,
Bijoeke (the papillion) pops out and enters at my parents place,
... and i'm late again

Evenings
Stop at parents place,
Open door and Bijoeke pops in
Go home,
Change cloaths
Put on had
Go for a walk with 2 Malinois
feed them
Wash my hands
prepare dinner
eat
do dishes
see if my son has done his homework
and it is 20h00
...and i ain't done anything yet

Greetings

Johan
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2006, 02:24 PM
I suppose I'm lucky because I work shifts so I nearly always have time for a long walk either before a late shift or after an early, before everyone else gets to the park and starts clogging it up! I don't like walking places when it's busy so I try to avoid evenings and weekends in popular spots.
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2006, 02:31 PM
hi there,

well i work full-time and i normally take my 2 terrors out separately as i'm training one of them at the mo. so its up at 5.30 for the first one, 5 mins to the field, then on with the flashing collar and a blast round the field for her. then back for sam, do a bit of training first then off we go onto the green in the front of my house on his long line. go up the lane either on his long line or short lead...letting him have a nosey every now and then.

then home from work and the same in the afternoon. this is come hail, rain, wind, snow etc....
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 02:58 PM
On the beach path in a morning (on lead, bit of training) for about 40mins

On the beach path and beach at night (on and off lead) for about a hour.

We also have about a third of an acre that Max can burn off energy in, and weekends he usually has a "friend" over (Teagan or his mum and sister) and we do a longer walk (couple of hours)

Shelley
x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 03:47 PM
I get up at 6am and take both dogs for a run over the fields near me. They get around 1 hour to 1½ hours depending on weather. I also throw the ball around and hide things for them to find.

I come home for 1 hour at lunchtime and take them to a local footpath by the river and let them have a mooch around, a leg stretch and toilet break.

After work we can go to all sorts of places depending on how energetic I am feeling, what the weather is like and whether I have anything else to do that evening (very rare! lol!). We have a choice of hill walks, by the river, on the beach or in the woods. We sometimes go up to the Lakes in summer or over to North Yorkshire when the evenings are warm and long.

On a Thursday evening myself and Moss also go training on sheep from 7.30pm until 10pm. Flame gets a walk before we go and a nice marrow bone to chomp on while we are out.

All in all, I don't think it is a bad routine
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 04:16 PM
well i do like to do 2 walks a day - but its not always possible.

we ALWAYS DO an hour at least in the afternoon/evening over the fields. try to do a quick 1/2 hour in the morning before taking the kids to school and then going to work, but being a full time single mum not everything is possible!!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 05:28 PM
I work full time outside of the house but luckily, OH works from home and doesn't start til afternoon usually. He has majority of the dog walking duty during the week and either I do the weekends or we both go together depending on what he's working. I do 3 different shifts at work though, so if I'm on 10-6's we go together before I go to work.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >