Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 10:25 AM

Sensitive skin issues? any ideas?

hi guys

im looking for a shampoo which will sooth daphni's skin. i think she may have a grass allergy or some form of hayfever, because since its gotten all springy and the grass is growing, she is being alot more scratchy, and her is skin is going red and dry. shes also started pulling out the hair on the areas it itches the most. shes been put onto salmon oil, and im also adding seaweed to her food. ive thought about putting her on antihystamines, just trying to find some i can put her on, i dont think its to do with diet, and im going to get her booked into the vets.

interestingly they arent as red this morning, but they havent been on their walk yet so may see if this differs when we go out.

this is what it looks like at the minute, and like i said its usually redder than this.

its just under her "underarms" and on her chest, and this area is one that comes in contact with the grass, thats why i thought it was something to do with grass. any one have any ideas?

also im looking for a shampoo which will help sooth her skin, and is for sensitive skin, but will also keep the rest of the coat in good condition. and also anyone know of any supplements i can add in which will help her hair grow back?
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Poor wee scone, the best thing with allergies is to avoid what ever causes the reaction as much as possible,I often have to change walks with Toro because she has allergies to certain things in June and september...I use polytar shampoo on Toro, she had a bad reaction to malaseb and hibiscrub ! I get Polytar from the chemist, give a good lather and try to leave it on the coat for a few mins before rinsing, you can give human piriton but short term as this can cause dry eye... Toro has evening primrose oil every day and sardines in olive oil at bed time, her coat is brilliant...
Hope this helps xx
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 10:34 AM
How are your dogs paws. does she lick and gnaw at them?

My dog has contact allergies to dust and storage mites (diagnosed late June).

I have tried lots of differnt shampoos and supplements to help with his skin but nothing is working. his belly, groin, armpitts, legs and chest are all bald. he now has a big bald patch on his flank and a small blad patch on his muzzle.

have you tried a coal tar shampoo or oatmeal? theres are both soothing for itchy skin.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
Poor wee scone, the best thing with allergies is to avoid what ever causes the reaction as much as possible,I often have to change walks with Toro because she has allergies to certain things in June and september...I use polytar shampoo on Toro, she had a bad reaction to malaseb and hibiscrub ! I get Polytar from the chemist, give a good lather and try to leave it on the coat for a few mins before rinsing, you can give human piriton but short term as this can cause dry eye...
Hope this helps xx
is it just june and september? think i will book her in at the vets and see what they say. we had a dog at work on antihystamines and he had a big pot of tablets, with like 365 in or something may have to try and find out where they are from.

Originally Posted by Jugsmalone View Post
How are your dogs paws. does she lick and gnaw at them?

My dog has contact allergies to dust and storage mites (diagnosed late June).

I have tried lots of differnt shampoos and supplements to help with his skin but nothing is working. his belly, groin, armpitts, legs and chest are all bald. he now has a big bald patch on his flank and a small blad patch on his muzzle.

have you tried a coal tar shampoo or oatmeal? theres are both soothing for itchy skin.
no she doesnt bother with her feet at all its just these areas where she is getting at her hair. will look nto the oatmel shampoo.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Yip she seems a lot more sensitive during these months
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
Yip she seems a lot more sensitive during these months
just looked at some oatmeal shampoos may buy the bedhead ones and see how she does. think its just going to be a case of bath her more often, keep up the oil, may have to put a jumper on her, but she gets so hot if shes running around.
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-07-2011, 11:44 AM
I have always found Etiderm to work really well and have used it for a very long time on one of our dogs that suffers with allergy problems [Atopy].If you decide to give it a go its worth shopping around for the best price.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Excuse my ignorance but is Daphne hairless?

Flynn has very thin hair, particularly on his underside (the result of his combination of breeds and being solid liver) and he gets quite red and itchy when he runs through long grass.

But I look at it this way...If I wore shorts and took the dogs out on their usual walks, my legs would get very irritated from the grass, thats a big reason I dont wear shorts (as well as insect bites!)

Flynn has a protective vest which I bought as protection against vegetation and barbewire but like you mention, it makes them even hotter in this weather.

The only other thing I do if I see his skin is red is to put aloe vera spray on it. I should buy the gel.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
is it just june and september? think i will book her in at the vets and see what they say. we had a dog at work on antihystamines and he had a big pot of tablets, with like 365 in or something may have to try and find out where they are from.

no she doesnt bother with her feet at all its just these areas where she is getting at her hair. will look nto the oatmel shampoo.
with a grass allergy I would have thought she would be chewing her feet too - dont quote me on this, im not an expert.

maybe see your vet and see what they think. Her skin does look sore, poor doggie.

hope you get her sorted. keep us updated!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Excuse my ignorance but is Daphne hairless?

Flynn has very thin hair, particularly on his underside (the result of his combination of breeds and being solid liver) and he gets quite red and itchy when he runs through long grass.

But I look at it this way...If I wore shorts and took the dogs out on their usual walks, my legs would get very irritated from the grass, thats a big reason I dont wear shorts (as well as insect bites!)

Flynn has a protective vest which I bought as protection against vegetation and barbewire but like you mention, it makes them even hotter in this weather.

The only other thing I do if I see his skin is red is to put aloe vera spray on it. I should buy the gel.
no worries, but nope this is daphni:

shes my powderpuff. the thing thats bothering me about it is shes pulling out her hair. i dont want her having big bald patches.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >