Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pasiphae
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2011, 08:59 PM

Don't know what to do

I dont know where this fits best so I'll stick it here I guess.

My little Cookie hamster died last night and I dont know what to do with his body. I want to bury him but I'm scared Freckles will dig him up and break my heart all over again. My son wants to cremate him on the open fire not a chance of that, even if I thought it would work. Hubby just think put him in the bin...after all he's dead and cant feel anything

I dont know what to do for the best, please can any of you give me some advice? I know it seems such a silly thing to get worked up over but its important to me to do it right.

Sorry all
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 09:12 PM
I am very sorry for your loss. As to what you do with Cookie's body, there are various options. I know several chicken keepers who put their girls in the bin afterwards. It is not something that I would do but each to their own I guess.

If you are going to bury Cookie, you need to make sure the grave is deep enough not to attract unwanted attention, possible put a large tub over it and you can have a nice plant in memory.

There are pet cremation services available, your local vet could advise you. They tend to operate serveral services, multiple cremation where you would get ashes back from all of the pets cremated, individual cremations with the ashes back for scattering or individual cremations with the ashes back in a casket. Our crematorium charges about £23 for an individual cremation and ashes for scattering with a chicken so you would be looking at less than that for such a small animal.

If Cookie died last night you will need to make a decision quite quickly what to do with his body. Sorry again for your loss.x
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 09:22 PM
You could perhaps bury him in a large plant pot with a bush/tree of some kind of top? I know several people do this with small animals, especially when renting so they can take the pot plants with them and not feel like they're leaving their pets behind. Or perhaps bury him in the garden but put a solid slab over the grave to prevent it being dug up?
Alternatively, as said, speak to your vet for advice on cremation.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 09:47 PM
I totally agree with krylr, that's what I did for my special rats when they passed. They gave me some beaustiful flowers and sometimes some lovely herbs as well (I wasn't squeamish about that).
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 11:14 PM
when i lost my special guinea pigs I buried them under the big apple tree in my dads garden and we planted little flowers over them
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2011, 12:43 AM
Hi Helen,have just read your post on the Gone but not Forgotten section-its the 1 above mine,Im sorry for your loss and know how you feel.,having lost 1 of my dogs,Lulu, last Friday.As other members have suggested ,perhaps bury him in a little pot with an evergreen plant perhaps to keep his memory alive,or perhaps some nice colourful plants.We have had lots of small animals owned by the children-mice,hamsters,fish etc,each one was buried in our garden ,with the children watching ,sometimes the children made a little cross to put over them,as the children were only young then.-I dont know how old your son is .We also have 2 cats and 2 dogs buried there besides Lulu who died last week .Hope you decide on something which you think would be right for him ,its not a silly thing to get worked up about as he was your hamster and you cared about him.God bless,Maureen.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 08:07 AM
As already suggested you could bury him in a little pot and plant something there in his memory.
Or look on google for your local pet cremation place. I have just looked at ours and it costs £25 to cremate a small pet individually and have him put in either a scatter pouch or little box (there are more fancy boxes with nameplates you can choose, then you can either scatter his ashes or keep them.
Sorry for your loss.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 01:45 PM
When my rabbited died she was burried in the garden I made sure the dogs were in the house at the time then I put the bin over it for a day or so just to make sure. They never went near it
ATD x