Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Colley1275
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-05-2008, 08:10 PM

Border Collie coat care - show ring

Hi there,

Can anyone suggest a good shampoo and conditioner to use to get a Border Collie cleaned up and ready for the show ring ? I have been using until now Groomers oil of primrose but without conditioner....

How long before a show is a good time to bath her ? The last show I did it the day before, however we were then getting the dreaded 'wings' and her coat refuses to lie flat in places. Where as normally in between baths it lies lovely. Also is there any tried and tested way to get the coat to lie flat - when I was in the ring with the other puppies some of them had fantastically flat coats !

Also, someone suggested using talcum powder on her white bits and legs and I have seen some exhibitors using a white spray - but no idea what its called.....

Our pup is now 7 1/2 months so her new coat is coming along lovely But not 100% sure of all the kit I need to start getting.

Many thanks in advance
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Their coats lie flat because they have been wearing Drycoats like most cavalier people use on heavily coated dogs.

I use Doreen Page shampoo's & conditions

You aren't actually allowed by the KC Regulations to use anything other than water on your dog's coat @ shows(although loads of people cheat)

Rjj doesn't have the wings problem as he's a smooth coat
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2008, 08:44 PM
You really shouldn't use products in the ring so I would try to avoid any whitening products if poss(you could end up having a sample of coat taken should anyone report you and getting into trouble if they find you used products on the coat, of course a lot of people do use it despite the rules but IMO it's not worth the risk) There are lots of whitening shampoos out there to do her white bits with. Hopefully a collie person can recommend a good shampoo to use,personally I like the kelco range of shampoos/conditioners.

As far as getting the coat to lie flat I'm no collie expert but you could mist her coat with water then drape a towel over the part you want flat until you go in the ring, there are also some fantastic coats to be bought , I just got one from the national show it's breathable with bits to cut out for the ears, fantastic on my powderpuffs coat and I've only used it once (his puppy coat is coming out so we have waaay too much volume at the moment lol)
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by perrypooh View Post
You really shouldn't use products in the ring so I would try to avoid any whitening products if poss(you could end up having a sample of coat taken should anyone report you and getting into trouble if they find you used products on the coat, of course a lot of people do use it despite the rules but IMO it's not worth the risk) There are lots of whitening shampoos out there to do her white bits with. Hopefully a collie person can recommend a good shampoo to use,personally I like the kelco range of shampoos/conditioners.

As far as getting the coat to lie flat I'm no collie expert but you could mist her coat with water then drape a towel over the part you want flat until you go in the ring, there are also some fantastic coats to be bought , I just got one from the national show it's breathable with bits to cut out for the ears, fantastic on my powderpuffs coat and I've only used it once (his puppy coat is coming out so we have waaay too much volume at the moment lol)
Well excuse me , but I've had BC's since 1970, I thought that would mean I know just a little bit about Border Collies (you haven't looked at my profile or site obviously, just because I have a Cavalier as my Avatar doesn't mean I only have Cavaliers) & I've already given the link for the Drycoats, there are others, but the link I have given are the original & best quality available

Misting with water will not work with Border Collies & as the coat dries out in the ring the "wings will come back.
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Um well I'm very sorry but we were posting at the same time, I read yours as mine had just posted.Maybe I should delete my post if it offended you so much. As stated I'm no collie person was just trying to help.
Colley1275
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Thank you both for your advice - its much appreciated.

I shall have a look at the link for the dog coat too.

Thanks again
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi just to add my two penneth I do use a dry coat as recommended by Dyane. I usually bath mine about 3 days before the show so the coats are resonabley clean but not too soft and flyaway. On the day clean ups can be done with a no rinse shampoo diluted in a spray bottle. I also use the lavender johnsons baby powder,it has to be the lavender one mind as it isnt talc but corn startch. I brush the leg fur up the wrong way then brush the powder in with a shaving brush then use my mason and pearson to brush the powder out again it brings with it any dust and dried up mud particles that could be making the coat look greyish and when they go in the ring they have no powder left in their coat. I wouldnt use the spray myself as apart from being against the rules it is like a spray paint. HTH

Colley1275
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Hi Willowish,

Thanks for all the info.

What shampoo do you use ? and do you use a conditioner or not bother? I use one on my older BC but I dont show him (none KC reg), and I use it to help his coat lie flatter as he has a very profuse coat.

The dry coats look fantastic, so do I just pop the coat on her as soon as she is out of the bath and then use the hairdryer on her with the coat on, or is it best to comb through her fur first ??

Sorry for all the questions.

I know what you mean about the aerosols, I dont want to use anything that is not allowed, and like the idea of using the lavender talc - where do you normally get yours from ?

thanks again
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2008, 11:18 PM
I use Wahl deep black on the collie I groom, it smells lovely and it brings the white out as well as the black.
The talcum is made by johnsons, I used to use it woodys bib he drooled in the car, as long as you bruch it back out its ok and it absorbs mositure.
I know Asda do it, I'll put some in my bag for monday so you can have a look, if I can find a small bottle I'll bring you a little bit of shampoo as well, but not promising I've just had a major clear out.
Colley1275
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2008, 03:50 AM
Thank you - cheers for that

Looking forward to Monday - see you there
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >