Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2012, 10:48 PM

Cut carpal pad...

On Saturday Arrow cut his leg. It was difficult to tell at first what exactly was cut because it took a while to clean, and he wasn't keen to let me look at it. I knew there was definitely a gash on his leg (between his paw and carpal pad) but there is also a cut higher up his leg that I couldn't see properly.

I got a really good look at it yesterday though, and the cut on his carpal pad looks bad. My dad and OH keep telling me to stop worrying, and that it will heal ok. I originally thought it was two cuts just below the carpal pad, but it is actually one large cut on the carpal pad.

I have been cleaning it with salty water (I boil it and wait until it cools down) and it does look like it is healing well (and today it looks much better than yesterday)... but, the way the cut is, it looks as though he will have a flappy bit on his carpal pad when it is healed... I'm not sure whether to leave it like that, but I don't know what I can do My dad thinks it will fall off...

Has anyone else had a similar thing with their dog? And is it likely that it will fall off? I know it might sound like an odd question
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Yes I have, if it heals ok, then the extra bit will fall off, be careful and avoid stones, gravel etc for while his foot will be tender.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks SB, glad to know that is normal... it does look just now as thought it might pop off...