View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mac82
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2012, 07:00 AM

Raw feeding small breed brachycephelic dog?

we already raw feed our dobermann an our papillons but i was wondering if there is anything i need to change for a boston terrier? we are looking at booking a puppy next year and i want to ensure we have done all our research and know as much as i can before puppy arrives!!!!
i was wondering in particular if they might have problems with chewing up bones or not? our papillon can destroy the most gigantic turkey wing with his chompers was very surprised when i first saw him do it!!
thank you for your help
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-09-2012, 07:58 AM
I've got 2 pugs fully on raw, one is 16 months the other is 10 weeks and apart from being fed seperately from the Dobermanns and Staffie simply because chewing bones takes them longer, I would say the only issue I have had is with chicken skin. My older Pug got a piece stuck across her throat and keeled over which required me to hook my finger in and retrieve it and she was immediately fine. The second time it happened I stuck my fingers down her throat much to her disgust because I couldn't feel the skin in her mouth at all again no harm done. Bones have never been an issue and they both love chewing on and chewing up bones. Chicken skin is however avoided as much as possible now.
mac82
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-09-2012, 08:16 AM
oooh thank you for that!!! not something i would have considered as a problem!! so very good to know!! we are so excited, will be my first puppy as we only had rescues and rehomes before now
i might be over thinking it but i had much rather be prepared!!!
glad to know they can chomp through anything, saves me buying special minces for them all the time instead!
do the pugs have any particular favourites? dobermann loves his rabbits and the papillons love chicken carcass!!
thank you for the info is gratefully received.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-09-2012, 08:49 AM
The older Pug eats anything, especially loves lambs liver for some reason. They can all tolerate pretty much anything and love venison and lamb. This is the youngster earlier in the week, it took her an hour to get all the meat off and I then removed it and have given it back each day for her to make a bit more progress with the bone.

mac82
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-09-2012, 09:22 AM
oh you can tell she is hating that
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2012, 10:06 AM
ooh exciting my little cresteds get through raw really easily, chicken wings, carcasses, ribs and im dying to try them on a bit of rabbit!
mac82
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-09-2012, 10:27 AM
our papillon handles rabbit brilliantly, fur and all!! we just have to stop him trying to get the dobermanns share too!! very exciting, just trying to stay reasonably calm at the moment as we do have about a 10 month wait!!