View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2008, 01:38 PM

Not sure whats the best thing to do.....

As you know I have a shop......Teagan comes to the shop with me 2 days a week.
I don't like leaving her at home all the time, but sometimes she can't come to the shop.
At home, she has access to the (secure) garden 24/7, as we have a dog flap, and we leave the TV on, and she has a kong to help keep her occupied.
She is walked before we leave, and when we get home.

On days she comes to the shop, she is walked at 7:30am before we leave, and walked again at 12:30, and again at 3:30 both by a dog walker.
The rest of the time she has full access to the back rooms of the shop and beind the counter.
She also gets attention from me, my staff and customers!

The thing is, lately sehe has started to cry when she's at the shop. She can be sat next to me, and she's still crying.

I don't know weather she would prefer to be left at home (she honestly is no problem at home - access to the whole house, never destroys anything, never barks or cries etc).

I feel guilty if she is at home every day, which is why I bring her to work with me, but I am beginning to wonder if she prefers to be home alone!!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-02-2008, 01:43 PM
It sounds similar to what happened to the local newsagents near me, they had their GSD with them everyday and she was fine and could go into the back yard, when they sold and moved to another shop a couple of miles away the shop did not have a back yard so they would take her out a few times a day but she never did settle at the new shop, they left her at home and called back a couple of times each day to let her out and stuff and she is fine.

But its you who knows her best and Im sure you will make the right choice.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2008, 01:45 PM
She has been fine being here (the shop) for ages......it's just the past few weeks that she has been unsettled.
I can't pop home when she's there alone, as I work 22 miles away......thats why she has the dog flap, but she's no problem being home alone anyway.

I suppose it's me feeling guity, and I bet she would be fine with whatever decision I make!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Has something unsettled her, maybe a kong in the back of the shop etc., seems funny that she has just started this, dogs are sensative, maybe she is unsettled about something or someone?????
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2008, 02:19 PM
I thought about that, but nothing has changed!
We have a routine before we come, and when we get here - makes it easier for both of us!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2008, 02:20 PM
couuld it be that its a bit cold or maybe a draught coming from your back door....

either that or there was a noise upstairs that freake her out...

im going through the same with china...

it took a fair few pigs ear to get her settled in the office again..
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2008, 02:21 PM
just thought - it is public car park at the back and has just ben half term...there may have been a thick scrote banging on back door or something...
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
just thought - it is public car park at the back and has just ben half term...there may have been a thick scrote banging on back door or something...
Anything like that, see I am a great believer in dogs instincts, I work on that when training to, it's hard to explain, but if one of mine is unsettled, esp if it's a thing they never done before, I rely on the fact that they know something that I don't.
So the crying is not for attention...as she is with you, so I would be thinking noise (that you cann't hear) or smell (that you cann't smell) she sounds as if she knows something you don't. Big question is how you find out. Sorry thats trial and error I'm afraid. Hope you find out luv her.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2008, 02:37 PM
I've thought about that.....but still not sure what it could be.....
There hasnt been anything new inside or out of the shop......we can hear anything near the back door as the counter is so close......

I'm hoping she will settle down, and that she actully enjoys being here, as she gets spoilt by customers lol and having the attention has got to be better than sitting at home!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
as she gets spoilt by customers lol and having the attention has got to be better than sitting at home!
perhaps if the shop is quiet, she's just quietly grumbling that there aren't any customers to give her treats and attention? Does she continue crying when you have customers in?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >