Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 09:34 AM

Heart murmur problems within breeds

Following on from the many threads on health of KC reg dogs, I just wondered what people on the forum though about the issue of heart murmurs in dogs,
I know many boxers have murmurs and to breed from a low score is the norm.
Rottweilers also can suffer from heart murmurs, I personaly have had two pups born with heart murmurs,
One pup's murmur cleared by 18 days old, but she has been spayed and will never be used to breed from,
I also had a bitch pup in my second litter who had one with was still present at 4 weeks old, she also has been spayed.

I personaly dont feel using a pup with a murmur present at over 10/14 days old should be used to breed,
this is just the way I prefer to do things,

would love to hear others thoughts
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-08-2008, 09:49 AM
New boxer puppy owners usually get this handout re heart murmurs.

http://www.boxerbreedcouncil.co.uk/printable.htm

Would be interesting to hear of any boxers with puppy flow murmurs that went on to score a 0 or 1 and be suitable for breeding.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 09:57 AM
thanks for that link carole, My vet has mentioned that a high % of pups are born with pup murmurs, Its just my personal prefrence not to breed from any pup that still has one at 14 days old,
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Both of mine have a score of 1 Bandits was picke dup as a puppy flow, Millie was a little later... but both lead active lives,

The Boxer Breed Councils code of ethics allows a 0 or 1 to be bred from... a 1 should only be put to a 0.

My own personal feelings are only 0 scores should be bred from..
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Apparantly, one of the pups in Murphy's litter had a puppy flow murmur that was detected when he was small, but recently it has totally disappeared and he has been scored as a 0

Both my boys are 0, and both their parents were.

I agree, only 0's should be bred from
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 11:15 AM
can anyone tell me the average range of murmur in boxers?

I have been led to believe that the breed are improving on the whole with lower scores
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 11:18 AM
I have one that had a murmur as a puppy,I knew she had one when she was a puppy as Shona kept me informed all the way before I got her.Didn't put me off as I was looking for a pet and always had a liking for Kizzy,must say she's my wee pride and joy too.I've had her for numerous check ups since she came to me and the vet has never found any murmurs as long as I have had her.

I know all pups are born with murmurs but wondered what breeders thought about murmurs as in what age should they be gone,what should be and not be bred from etc.

Very interesting thread here Shona,xxxxxxxx
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
can anyone tell me the average range of murmur in boxers?

I have been led to believe that the breed are improving on the whole with lower scores
I knew about the scoring etc but surely only dogs with a o score would be best to breed from ,xxxxxxxxx
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 11:26 AM
I think a lot of pups of any breed have what they call "innocent" murmurs as pups, I know a couple of Borders that did (via breed forum) but they dissappeared by the time the pup had its second vaccination.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I think a lot of pups of any breed have what they call "innocent" murmurs as pups, I know a couple of Borders that did (via breed forum) but they dissappeared by the time the pup had its second vaccination.
Isn't there some that go away and come back in later life,think I read it somewhere xxxxxxxx
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >