Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
All religions (especially those of The Book) have sects and degrees of orthodoxy. There are also exceptions which are allowed in various circumstances.
Like the guide dog in the mosque...
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Not sure I understand the bit in bold.

Many ultra orthodox jews have separate kitchens, one for dairy and one for meat, including dishwasher, cutlery, crockery etc. Obviously not everyone can afford this but other arrangements will be made.

Yes, absolutely correct. Very Orthodox Jews will sometimes have two kitchens. And many slightly less religious Jews will use two sets of cutlery etc for Milk and Meat, two sinks sometimes, etc.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Kosher meat is eaten by Muslims both in the UK and - as Smokey Bear rightly notes - in other countries. I personally know quite a few Muslims who buy meat from a local Kosher butcher. Meat is kosher according to the criteria I outlined above so nothing offensive there to Muslims in terms of theology -)

Jews who keep Kosher will not eat Halal meat - Halal rules are slightly less strict, which is why. The Kosher, or Kashrut rules, are actually rather complex when delved into, I've just outlined them very generally above -)

RAMBLE - I will PM you later this evening

Hmmm, well actually because of the different times that prayers are said during the slaughter ie before or during and that the name of God is said, and of course the issue about facing Mecca for some kosher meat can be offensive to muslims.

Again, Zabiha rules are pretty strict but different to Kosher because Kosher meat has other rules surrounding it which, as TJ has said, are a bit more complex.

So to the outsider it will appear on the surface the same (due to the focus on the physical method) but the spiritual side is very different.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:18 PM
SB nothing was in bold!! I was wondering aloud given the requirements for halal meat and the way it is reared and slaughtered, if there are specifuc halal meat farmers/ slaughterhouses, or indeed kosher.

I am aware of the dairy thing, it makes food technology lessons different to those in other schools
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Hmmm, well actually because of the different times that prayers are said during the slaughter ie before or during and that the name of God is said, and of course the issue about facing Mecca for some kosher meat can be offensive to muslims.

Again, Zabiha rules are pretty strict but different to Kosher because Kosher meat has other rules surrounding it which, as TJ has said, are a bit more complex.

So to the outsider it will appear on the surface the same (due to the focus on the physical method) but the spiritual side is very different.

Yes the ideologies are also very different - we could probably discuss this all day so I won't ramble on any more as don't want to hijack the thread, certainly has become a very interesting thread
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Ramble away Tabithaj it's fascinating!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
SB nothing was in bold!! I was wondering aloud given the requirements for halal meat and the way it is reared and slaughtered, if there are specifuc halal meat farmers/ slaughterhouses, or indeed kosher.

I am aware of the dairy thing, it makes food technology lessons different to those in other schools
Sorry, it should have been, I put it in bold now!

Yes ideally separate abbattoirs are preferred but not always possible so a licensed slaughterhouse will make special arrangements for the Zabiha methods eg equipment and obviously it is essential that pork is not allowed to contaminate any such meat.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:26 PM
LOL LOL - I was always taught not to discuss either religion or politics LOL LOL

I'll PM you a bit later and will be happy to give you any info about some things your son might possibly encounter or learn at his new school
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:27 PM
This link might be helpful to have a summary on the Zabiha process.

http://www.iccservices.org.uk/halal_...alal_haram.htm
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
LOL LOL - I was always taught not to discuss either religion or politics LOL LOL

I'll PM you a bit later and will be happy to give you any info about some things your son might possibly encounter or learn at his new school
Thanks so much again. He is very excited and very lucky, it's a fab school.
Page 19 of 41 « First < 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 > Last »