View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-12-2006, 04:38 PM

so annoyed -but i know they are only trying to do good!

Hi all,

I have two cats, 2 longhaired tortie girls. They are both lovely but one has a slight problem.

The smaller of the two has allergies. She cannot eat shop-brought cat food, thus is on a special diet drawn out by the vet. The diet does make her skinny but the vet is happy with her weight, trouble is someone else must be feeding her. Yes she is putting on weight but she is being constantly sick and is losing her hair, obviously not ideal in this weather. I would rather not keep her indoors but i feel that if i cant solve this thats what will need to happen.

Is there anyway i could find the person who is feeding her? What should i do when i find them? Is there anything else i can do?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-12-2006, 04:41 PM
I had a similar problem years ago, and it was driving me nuts, in the end I made up a flyer printed off loads and put them through every letterbox in the area. It did work.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-12-2006, 05:13 PM
It could be possible that no-one is purposely feeding her (I thought I had the same problem with a couple down the road feeding my female cat as she can't hold down cat food with fish ingredients makes her awfully poorly) Turned out she was not purposely being fed but going down the road eating cat food that had been left out by couple for their own cat and theres really nothing that you can do about that apart from keep her in like I had to with our little girl in the end.
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Trouble, your advice is what I wouldve given, I think it is the best thing to do.

Hope your problem gets solved soon Dalmonda, good luck!
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Thanks guys, in a way i feel bad because who ever is feeding her must think they have found a stray and are feeding her up. But i think i will try the flyer idea or at least try and follow her for a while to see where she goes....she cant go far she comes when you call ...famous last words ay?
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2006, 09:08 AM
How about putting a collar on her with a tag stating "do not feed - allergies" Just untill you think the feeding has stopped?
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2006, 07:21 PM
Its a pain I know. I had a greedy neutered tom who had persuaded a little old lady down the road to feed him. I don't know why as he was a fatty bloater anyway, but she did. She fed him dried food and he ate so much he got, erm, blocked!
He had to go to the vets to be manually evacuated! Not a nice procedure for him or the vet. Had to have liquid parafin for a while too.

He was so bunged up he lost 6lbs during his stay at the vets!

Needless to say I had a quiet, friendly word with the lady who was very sorry.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Kanikula View Post
How about putting a collar on her with a tag stating "do not feed - allergies" Just untill you think the feeding has stopped?
we did this and it just doesn't work it also states he could die if fed but still they do it it costs me a fortune at the vets,i have seen my neighbour who has a cat and have told her if she sees mine hanging about near her garden to shoo him away as she has a cat flap he isn't scared to go on a food robbing spree i also did the leaflet thing and it worked for a little while but now several new people have moved in the feeding has started again i put on the leaflet not to feed him, but added he loves to be stroked just be polite in what you write and hopefully the feeding will stop
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2006, 11:54 AM
I also heard another tag on the collar stating 'do not feed me' coz blah blah may work?