View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 07:16 AM
This is great news - I adore Elkie's - fab creatures - Shiba's Go Large!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Posted this else where, and added well done Archer in the cards twice, can also claim all 3 of mine are related, mind you I guess 50% of Elks must be and I gave the dog Kris Best Puppy when it was about 6 months old. Hope Brian holds it together in the BIS ring, remember that Barbara was so laid back she was off shopping with Gill and the organisers were going mad, the bitch, Quicksilver was there but no sign of the handler, talk about laid back.
I think if you own a Kestos or Steldawn dog you're right ....they are likely to be related to Kris in some way.
Think you meant QUICKSTEP was there.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 07:34 AM
No worse than us Zoundz, laying claim to the winner because our dogs are related, daft really, have owned the offspring of two Crufts group winners and neither are going to take the show world by storm Think it does say something that the last two Elkie group winners were bred by the same person, and many of the CC's taken last year in both dogs & bitches were also from the same two kennels. Strange thing is that the lady who bred Kris hardly ever shows her own dogs she just loves breeding, mind you she does not do that to excess there are people who breed far more.
She is a very clever lady.She bred 3 of the top 4 award winners this year...and other winners too.She is also top elkhound breeder AGAIN this year...AND top HOUND GROUP BREEDER!Only ever takes 2-3 litters from a bitch.
As Thordel says she doesn't breed excessively....2 litters a year And shows rarely...prefering to see her dogs bring pleasure to other people.She is the sort of breeder that I am PROUD to be associated with.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by Archer
Think you meant QUICKSTEP was there.
LOL I did, it is not as if I don't write it every time I fill in an entry form for the Sod

The sires of my 3 boys is an interesting example of line breeding, being g.father, father and son, the son also being Kris's sire, the bitches in the background are also related but more loosely, both to one another and to the sires. Without looking at the papers I am not sure how but it is an example of how breeding works and how experienced breeders know when to line breed and when to breed to something further away or even outside their lines altogether, mind you think that these two breeders would find it hard to find an animal that had no connection whatsoever with their lines

It is interesting that in our breed there are one or two breeders who never seem to use animals from some of the other kennels, when, to an onlooker at least, it may be to the advantage to their stock to do so, but there you go, what do I know.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 08:15 AM
Morning Jackie!
you're right....what do we know.I wish I had Gill and Barbaras knowledge and insight into elkies....maybe oneday!
My boys are all quite different immediate pedigrees although they have connections further down the line.
Nice to see a new Norwegian dog is being brought in this year...can't wait to see him!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 08:37 AM
Morning Jackie!
you're right....what do we know.I wish I had Gill and Barbaras knowledge and insight into elkies....maybe oneday!
My boys are all quite different immediate pedigrees although they have connections further down the line.
Nice to see a new Norwegian dog is being brought in this year...can't wait to see him!
Always nice to see a new dog, hope he is successful but if he is I hope he is not over used as is inclined to happen, bet there is not a dog in the ring today who does not have Anton in their line. But I am a worrier, concerned that in our small number breed someone will import a nice dog that will be over used and will turn out to be carrying some sort of fault that in the future will either ruin the good health or completely change our breed which at the moment has remained, in the UK anyway, very like the Norwegian dogs.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Always nice to see a new dog, hope he is successful but if he is I hope he is not over used as is inclined to happen, bet there is not a dog in the ring today who does not have Anton in their line. .
I've got 2!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 08:48 AM
I've got 2!
Suprised it is only two, think 3 of mine has him on both sides not sure about the other one but will have to have a look now the thought has come into my head. lucky he passed on a lot of good along with that coat

EDIT: I was wrong only two of mine have Anton, Varg on both sides and Solli on one, don't know why, may be age but I thought Anton was behind Crackerjack and he is behind all my boys, just shows you how much care you must have to take before breeding as you can get something fixed in your head and there it remains until you realise you are wrong.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Suprised it is only two, think 3 of mine has him on both sides not sure about the other one but will have to have a look now the thought has come into my head. lucky he passed on a lot of good along with that coat

EDIT: I was wrong only two of mine have Anton, Varg on both sides and Solli on one, don't know why, may be age but I thought Anton was behind Crackerjack and he is behind all my boys, just shows you how much care you must have to take before breeding as you can get something fixed in your head and there it remains until you realise you are wrong.
No I meant I've only got Anton behind 1 of mine....Frankie is a Anton GR.grandson
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Saw it last night and thought of you too! Beautiful dog and very shy owner
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >