Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 09:11 PM

Second hand dishwasher

Hello

Our dishwasher broke just before xmas, 5 yr old Bosch model whose control panel died, ,,,, 180 quid to fix it!!!

so my hunt is on for a replacement, however at £200+ for a new one, i was scouring the newspaper for something and came across one for sale for £70 - basically older lady who has hardly used it and doesnt have the space for it.

my question is how can i be sure that its in good working order other than letting it do a full load whilst I wait !!!

i just want a working dishwasher and getting one for £70 would suit me much better than a £200 + one..

would you buy or have you bought one second hand and any advice on what i should look for?

she sounds nice and used to work for the dog and cat home so she must be ok is my theory !!! LOL

( yes we already have talked dogs in a five minute phone call!!)
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 09:28 PM
If it hasn't been used that much it should be very clean inside,( no build up of limescale, fat or sludge) then I would look for any leaks underneath or around it.
Make sure door operates smoothly ( that it doesn't suddenly drop) and look for any surface dents or damage.

Would also ask her to start it so you can hear it start, to make sure it goes, even if you don't wait for the whole programme!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 09:29 PM
I guess you can only really go with your gut feeling, Dani. If she sounds genuine, which I think you're saying she does, I would go for it. Bite the bullet, girl - just do it!

*I hope after all this the bloody thing is ok.....*

x0x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
If it hasn't been used that much it should be very clean inside,( no build up of limescale, fat or sludge) then I would look for any leaks underneath or around it.
Make sure door operates smoothly ( that it doesn't suddenly drop) and look for any surface dents or damage.

Would also ask her to start it so you can hear it start, to make sure it goes, even if you don't wait for the whole programme!

A much more sensible answer......
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post

A much more sensible answer......
yeah, it was dictated by electrician hubby, not the mental window woman
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I guess you can only really go with your gut feeling, Dani. If she sounds genuine, which I think you're saying she does, I would go for it. Bite the bullet, girl - just do it!

*I hope after all this the bloody thing is ok.....*

x0x
thanks - my gut is saying all ok - but i think am being blinded by the fact that she is a dog lover - i guess i think that makes her honest in every respect !! lol hubby needless to say thinks i am very niave !!

Originally Posted by MissE View Post

thanks - am definetly going to ask her to turn it on etc and make sure it takes in water. suppose its just the chance you take too....

thanks ladies, let you know how it goes - anything to stop getting wrinkly hands doing the dishes - and i have broken 2 good plates since it broke having to wash by hand !!!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Did you buy it in the end, Dani?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 10:10 AM
ooh i thought I had updated this already - how odd...

No i didnt buy it, it had a little bit of limescale on the basket, but mostly because it had a rotary dial controll which when asked she had said it didnt, and Luca would have a field day with that kind of control and would break it in about 5 minutes !! LOL

still on the hunt, we were going to splash out on a new one, but hubby's job isnt safe as he works in building trade and not going well at moment so dont want to shell out money and then something awful to happen.,..

so dishwater hands for me for the foreseeable future i think !!!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 08:47 PM
oh no! Dishwasher hands!
I hope the Washing Up Fairy is listening and planning your salvation already
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Oh it's a shame you are so far away Dani i'm trying to get shot of one!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >