Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2013, 06:38 AM

Anal Glands

When I took Marco for his first vet check on Monday she said that his anal glands were very full and needed emptying which she did. To be honest I'd never heard of anal glands but she said that now they'd been emptied and because his pois are firm it's likely they would now empty themselves naturally when he goes but that she'll keep an eye on them.

As Marco just finished a poo now at the very end with tail still up there was a little squirt noise and a little bit if liquid came out - is this likely to be the glands emptying naturally?

Cath
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2013, 07:50 AM
Hi Cath, I'm not sure to be honest but maybe it was, don't think they empty like that as normal though, maybe as they had been full and were now empty they emptied with a puff of air? I think they usually empty as the pooh slides through so it kind of coats the poo on it's way out, if that makes sense, I bet he feels a lot better for having it done though xx
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2013, 02:35 PM
aw bless him I wonder if it's a puppy thing as I remember my dogs as pups having their glands emptied regularly, they always had squidgy poo as pups. Not had a problem since.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Remember Lacey having a bit of an issue when she was younger with anal glands. Had to have them relieved a few times,by the groomer, thank God. Hasn't had any trouble since then, its all good
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2013, 04:32 PM
His poos are lovely and firm since we've had them, not had a soft/runny one yet, I wondered whether they may have filled as he was being fed from mum/weaned and that they may empty naturally now they've been emptied - will wait and see, we are back at the vets on Monday for chipping and worming so she may have a look then.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Cath - apart from anything else, if it might not be a bad idea if your vet does check Marco's anal glands when you take him to be chipped and wormed, as he will get used to it.

I always had Little One's and then Pereg's anal glands checked [and emptied if necessary] when they had their yearly boosters, although with my little Griffons I was able to do it myself.

Little One used to need holding down and screamed her head off, even though it only took Ram a matter of seconds, whereas Pereg honestly does not care what he does to her and it is now an automatic part of her six-monthly check-ups and blood tests.
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Think you're right Malka, I will get her to check - luckily he was really good and didn't mind it being done.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2013, 10:07 PM
When I had Heidi up for her first vac, the vet emptied her glands as well...I do not remember them doing it with any other of my pups..
lindaisy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-07-2013, 11:09 PM
I have had a few dogs who get blocked glands(there are 2 one on either side)....even when solid, my vets taught me how to clear them (not sure if this is a plus). It is simple but can be a very smelly process......I always "squeeze" the glands it my dog itches around the back.....if they are cleared regularly it prevents infection if they are prone to it.

You do need a latex glove, cotton wool and a strong stomach.....
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2013, 06:23 AM
Wouldn't have thought that noise was glands emptying, just a fart and the last bit of poo that can be softer. Some dogs do spontaneously empty their anal glands but it rare and a fear induced response. We had a collie in classes that used to do it if any other dog barked. It's amazing how that concentrated the minds of the other owners! Less chatting and more working with their dogs to keep them entertained and quiet!

It has a really distinctive smell, a disgusting fishy one.

Tonks has always had issues with her glands so she had them removed last year....so glad we did! She is far more comfy and doesn't have to go through the discomfort and unpleasantness of having them emptied regularly.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >