View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Robbie34 - we started Loki on tiny doses of PB too and like you, had to keep increasing it. We haven't ruled out another increase and so far, his blood tests have been okay. We give him milk thistle to try to support his liver too.

We did look into using Keppra as an adjunct but a neurologist said the effects would wear off quickly and advised us to just use it during a cluster but it didn't seem to do much. It's expensive too!

The problem we find is that the epilepsy seems to change, as in he went fit-free for over a year and then they back and frequently too. In fact, the vets had suggested cutting back on the KBr - we didn't and he went on to have 17 fits when we were on holiday.

I hope you and your vet can get something sorted out for Henry to increase his fit-free periods.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
...[snip]...
So you don't know if she has had a blow to the head or not which can cause seizures.
I rescued my dog as a 6 week old puppy. Her dog mother had been with a foster carer from when she was found until the puppies were weaned. Her first Grand Mal seizure happened when she was two years and three months old. So yes I do know that she has not had a blow to the head.

My Vet cared for the bitch and the puppies as he works with the rescue organisation, so knew the puppies from birth, and has looked after Pereg since I adopted her. Being epileptic himself he has studied canine epilepsy and is considered to be an expert on the subject.

So when he diagnosed Pereg with Idiopathic Epilepsy because there was no other cause for it, what on earth is the point in you telling me to keep looking and never give up?

I am very sorry that your late husband was epileptic caused by a stroke. My dog's Grand Mal seizures are caused by Idiopathic Epilepsy, as are the Myoclonic seizures she has had. She will never be able to come off medication, just as my Vet will never be able to come off medication.

Frankly I found your post to be extremely condescending - toward me, Dr Ram, and all other people who have dogs with Idiopathic Epilepsy.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Did you get the blood test results? Any decisions on medication?

You may have seen these but they might be useful:

http://www.canineepilepsy.co.uk/

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/
Robbie34
New Member!
Male 

20-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Henry's blood results came through on Thursday: his liver and kidneys are fine, and his Epiphen levels are also OK, 17.5. The Vet has prescribed 325 mg potassium bromide twice daily.

I'm a bit worried about weight gain as he has put on weight since he was prescribed Epiphen, and he seems to be more hungry since I have been giving him the bromide. He is on a BARF diet, and I have been feeding him twice a day with 130 grams of raw meat. I buy frozen chicken breasts from Lidl, or Asda, as well as lamb's liver or kidneys from Asda or Tesco. Henry enjoys his raw food and dances around when I'm putting his dish down for him.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

20-07-2013, 06:33 PM
A Pb [Epiphen] level of 17.5 is only just in the therapeutic range of 15-40 therefore I would have thought your vet would have suggested increasing Henry's Epiphen before adding Kbr or any other AED,

Regarding weight gain, Pereg weighed 17kg before starting on Pb in April 2011 and her weight shot up to 20.8kg in the first six months. She was originally fed on kibble but by the October she was fully on raw, so I bought some kitchen scales and started weighing everything, going by 2% of her target weight of 18kg. Her food was bulked out with lightly steamed vegetables, and any treats were [and still are] raw vegetables.

Her weight is now 16.1kg - her liver and kidney functions are spot on perfect, and her Pb level is around half way between the lowest and highest therapeutic levels.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Hi

Well that is good news! You have room to increase if you feel it's necessary.

Hunger is a side effect of KBr (and Epiphen, e.g. when started or increased) as well as increased thirst, urination, sedation and ataxia of the back legs. Things should resolve after a couple of weeks, although in some dogs hunger remains a bit of an issue. It can cause nausea sometimes so we always give it with food.

Try to add low calorie stuff if you feel the hunger is getting too much.

The other thing with KBr (you probably already know this) is that it takes longer to become effective - a few months - so the dog can still have fits until it does.

I hope it all works out for you both.

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...um_bromide.htm
Robbie34
New Member!
Male 

21-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
A Pb [Epiphen] level of 17.5 is only just in the therapeutic range of 15-40 therefore I would have thought your vet would have suggested increasing Henry's Epiphen before adding Kbr or any other AED,
Henry had his test for Epiphen levels almost twelve hours after taking his medication, so it was well within the therapeutic range.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

21-07-2013, 11:06 AM
I hope Henry's meds now work for him. My Loki is on 2 x 60 gms of Epiphen morning and evenings as well as 1 potassium bromide mornings and evenings. I also give her a Milk Thistle capsule to counteract any liver damage - a tip from a couple of members on here!

Fingers crossed for your boy!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

21-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Robbie34 View Post
Henry had his test for Epiphen levels almost twelve hours after taking his medication, so it was well within the therapeutic range.
Pb levels should always be checked just before the next dose is due, so 17.5 is still extremely low and only just above the lowest therapeutic range.
Robbie34
New Member!
Male 

21-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Pb levels should always be checked just before the next dose is due, so 17.5 is still extremely low and only just above the lowest therapeutic range.
It was just before his next dose was due. He has his medication every twelve hours. From seven in the morning until 6.30 in the evening is not much short of twelve hours.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >