Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2013, 12:57 PM

What do you prefer a dog or a bitch ?

Just wondering your thoughts on male and female, I thought my preference was Bitches, till we got the boys, I've found the boys to be more affectionate and the girls more demanding, I think in the beginning I thought males would be harder work with all the old fashioned stories that if a bitch was in heat they'd run away, and be more dominant, now a days though its not so much that, I remember as a kid the dogs were put out in the morning and roamed the streets till folks got back from work in the evening, I'd often come across a dog for example sleeping at the bottom of the close where they lived...I can't imagine opening the door and putting Inka and Toro out on their own, what was going on back then ?
anyway boys or girls rule ? and why ...
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2013, 01:12 PM
We are looking for a pup now to give Mollie a companion. It will be a girl. We have had boys and girls in the past and have found no difference in affection (other than individual personalities nothing to do with which sex they were). We have decided girls now as personally we find them easier in many ways. And no marking - all our boys have been ready to mark their territory rather too often and no humping I think Molls is at an age she needs a rest from that !
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
We are looking for a pup now to give Mollie a companion. It will be a girl. We have had boys and girls in the past and have found no difference in affection (other than individual personalities nothing to do with which sex they were). We have decided girls now as personally we find them easier in many ways. And no marking - all our boys have been ready to mark their territory rather too often and no humping I think Molls is at an age she needs a rest from that !
Haha I have known girls who hump more than boys My favourite was a GSD who humped the male cat...

I love my boys, I've always found they muck in so well as a group. Most girls I've known have been very personal space aware mostly due to unwanted attention from males when they were younger. Having said that though I love the tenacity some of the girls have shown and when they aren't telling my boys off (who aren't trying to hump them) they are lovely.

I'm a bit biased as I have always lived with boys but when I had Lucy up here and now that my dad has Sally I'm enjoying the different dynamic.

I think it comes down to the individual dog.

P.S I'm not saying girls can't live happily in groups, some of the sweetest pairings I've known have been between girls
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Until Rio I'd always favoured boys so that was what I had but now I have 7 dogs and more girls than boys. I have no preference other than what is most likely to fit in with my current dogs. I don't find either sex to be more affectionate or harder work than the other, it's all down to individuals. Even when I was a child our dogs were never let out to roam the streets alone, although they did come out with us when we were playing out all day.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrekin View Post
Haha I have known girls who hump more than boys My favourite was a GSD who humped the male cat...

I love my boys, I've always found they muck in so well as a group. Most girls I've known have been very personal space aware mostly due to unwanted attention from males when they were younger. Having said that though I love the tenacity some of the girls have shown and when they aren't telling my boys off (who aren't trying to hump them) they are lovely.

I'm a bit biased as I have always lived with boys but when I had Lucy up here and now that my dad has Sally I'm enjoying the different dynamic.

I think it comes down to the individual dog.

P.S I'm not saying girls can't live happily in groups, some of the sweetest pairings I've known have been between girls
Gosh I have had more girls than boys and never had a humping girl ! Must have been lucky I guess lol hope I am as lucky with the next !
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Think I prefer bitches but having said that each dog has its own personality and you love them irrespective of their sex.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Gosh I have had more girls than boys and never had a humping girl ! Must have been lucky I guess lol hope I am as lucky with the next !
I guess I just bump into over sexed girls!
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2013, 02:12 PM
thanks eveyone, interesting reading your answers, suki, girl shar pei was a humper and pee'd like a boy , Toro humps her bed lol but usually out of frustration...Suki was an only girl, she could be a sulker lol she could be affectionate, she liked to sleep on the bed under the covers at night, she was on lead dog agressive only because she herself had been attacked many times, she was cheeky and funny...after having both boys and a wee girl in the mix, I can see just how dominant a female can be in a wee pack situation, Toro had the boys terrified when she was a pup, I always found more of a bond with the boys, maybe because I treated them more like dogs, where as I do tend to molly coddle the girlies ...x
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2013, 02:18 PM
We had only experienced boys until we had Mia.. she is very independent and mostly has it her own way.. Freya is just the same.. but i really like that.

I feel them far less demanding of my attention than the boys.. who also seem never to fully grow up.

I`d be inclined to only choose bitches in the future.. and just one dog at a time.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2013, 02:26 PM
I had a bitch for 15 years who was an absolute sweetie I then decided to have a boy dog as I'd always grown up with dogs and they are gorgeous but do have some fairly disgusting habits Very loving though and no phantom pregnancies to suffer
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >