Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizzie-301
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2011, 08:13 PM

Dog keeps eating poo!

Hi there, my Carin Terrier has a distgusting habit of eating other dogs poo. If he is on the lead and sees some he'll pull continuously, desparate to get to it. If he's off the lead he will simply run to as many of them as he can find and eat it all.

I have tried distracting him by throwing his favourite toy but that only lasts for a small amount of time. He is trained with recall but once he sees some, he ignores me completey!

I've read it could be down to a lack of something in his diet, but he has a very good quality diet so very confused, would love to sort this out as it not only is horrible for the dog, but embarresing for me!

Thanks for any advice x
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Rather than an issue with his diet, it may be an issue with the other dogs' diet - cheap foods contain lots of poorly digested ingredients and so their poos contain a fair amount of food, which smells appealing to other dogs.
I'd probably work on a good "leave" command as well as recall, I'm sure someone will come along with some more specifical advice. One thing I have heard is to not make a big fuss trying to stop the dog though as this can make it a bit of a game - negative attention is still attention to a dog.
Motley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2011, 10:19 AM
if you are concerned he has a problem then see the vet, i think its normal for a lot of dogs to do this at some point.

Motley used to do it when he was about 5 months old, he did it for a few days then stopped. Im pretty sure he stopped around the time we started walking with a regular dog group, so he always has his friends around him now, he's either too busy or embarrased to try it
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2011, 10:24 AM
lolmine are fussy they only try and eat each others not other dogs but not a problem for me now as pick it up as soon as they drop it
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 10:33 AM
I think I`d walk somewhere dog owners weren`t so dirty, tbh. Don`t they pick up round your way?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 06:18 PM
definately teach him a leave it command, and always have treats that are high value, maybe some liver or some cheese, so he learns he gets something better than the poo for doing as he is told.