Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dogmarley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-08-2008, 10:00 AM

Best Quality Dry Food?

Hi...

We have just got our first puppy who's doing great but we are about to run out of the the bag of food that came in the puppy pack. So far the little chap has been eating PURINA PROPLAN but i'd be happy to change to another dry food.

If money is no object which is THE BEST QUALITY dry food food available?

Thanks....

(oh and in case it makes a difference he's a cocker spaniel cross)
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:03 AM
There is an awful lot of personal preference obviously witht his question. I feed mine James Wellbeloved, but they have all had food intolerance in the past and I find JWB to be nice and neutral for them.

Good quality food, but not the cheapest of the bunch you are about to be told about
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
There is an awful lot of personal preference obviously witht his question. I feed mine James Wellbeloved, but they have all had food intolerance in the past and I find JWB to be nice and neutral for them.

Good quality food, but not the cheapest of the bunch you are about to be told about
I agree and think its down to the dog and what suits them best. We feed Hills and both dogs are in fab condition and have lovely glossy coats and white teeth.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:09 AM
I think Arden Grange is the best dried food from an ingredients point of view
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:09 AM
You have opened a can of worms here. So much choice Be prepared you will be spoilt for choice.. My BC rescue was put on Iams at the rescue centre and I kept him on it because he was thriving so well. I know a lot of people here do not agree with Iams but my philosophy is if it aint broke, then don't fix it. Good luck
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Sorry but i would never feed my dog iams (put then i don't buy any proctor and gamble products either) after what they did! The whole company is evil IMO.
dogmarley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks for all your quick replies, i'm not so interested in the politics side of things just whats best for my dog from a health and happiness point of view...

Checking through the online pet stores JWB and ROYAL CANIN seem to be the most expensive and to my mind would mean has the best quality ingredients?

Also is there a particular flavour that will go down well?
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Mine like all the JWB flavours and I often mix it up to keep their dinner 'fresh'. If they have dodgy tummys i tend to avoid the duck, but I think that may be more my assumption that duck is fatty, than the truth of the ingredients.

From what people have said on here before I think Arden Grange may actually have the best ingredients, but JWB and Royal Canin have more 'science' behind them for allergies and sensitivities... Selkie can't have fat or gluten, Pharaoh can't have fat and Kismet has to eat what they eat!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 10:30 AM
The turkey and rice smells the least to human senses and so I buy that if we will be eating at a non dog owners house usually mixing it with tuna or gravy so we don't make their kitchen all 'dog foody' smelling.
dogmarley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Yes thats a very good point magpye, its not just about the ingredients and taste but the science and how your dog will react to its food....

So is it a choice of the JWB and ROYAL CANIN and if so WHICH ONE!!?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »