register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Are you for or against organ donation? (Please explain reasons on your choice)
Yes I'm for it and am an organ donor. 52 68.42%
Yes I'm for it, but too scared to be one. 9 11.84%
No I'm not for it and am not an organ donor. 4 5.26%
Other....... 11 14.47%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by GSDLover
I just personally believe that we should go out as we came in, and that extending life through artifical means does more harm than good to our society.
We are all entitled to our own opinions and I respect yours, however I do have something say about that comment about extending life through articial means.

I've said this before on here, but I'll tell the story again.

Long story short, my husband was fighting fit when we got married, 4 months after I was married I woke up at 3am to the lights on in the house and my husband sitting up in lounge looking very pale, he said he didnt feel well and wanted me to drive him to Southampton hospital, 2 hours later I was told he'd had a heart attack. Things went down hill and only a week later we were told and I quote 'There's nothing more we can do for you Mr *****' however a transplant MIGHT work, and it's your only option.

He was transferred to Harefield hospital and was given days to live.

He was lucky enough to to undergo a heart transplant operation 2 days after going on the waiting list. Any longer and I would be a widow.

That was 3 years ago and it's beacause of Artifical Means that my husband is still with me and I'm not a widow at 25. Since then I've signed up to being a organ donor and have encouraged all my family and friends to do it. It was because of someone's love for life and their familes understanding that the family who donated that persons organs has allowed my husband and 4 other people to carry on living.

To that woman I will always be grateful for her gift.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-08-2006, 01:16 PM
And it is a sad fact that only 22% of adults in the uk are registered as doners, surely more than 22% would accept an organ if they were in need.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble
Would you decline an organ transplant if you needed one yourself?
I actually answered that very question in my initial response. My partner is fully aware that should that situation ever arise, I don't want anything transplanting into me, nor anything taking out of me for transplant purposes.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 01:52 PM
I don't want anything transplanting into me, nor anything taking out of me for transplant purposes.
I'd be willing to bet a whole lot of money you would soon change your mind if you were told that there was no other option for you to live except for a transplant.

And I think (JMHO) that anyone who says they wouldnt want a transplant cant answer that truthfully until they have been in that position.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Willow
I'd be willing to bet a whole lot of money you would soon change your mind if you were told that there was no other option for you to live except for a transplant.
Whereas I can give a cast-iron 100% assurance that you'd lose your money. It's just something that I personally fundamentally disagree with. I'm not in the least bit religious but I don't need to be to realise that inflating the population count through artifical life-giving means is fundamentally wrong, in my view.

I'm of the view that when your time is up, it's up. Celebrate what you have and live it to the full in the knowledge that it has to come to an end sooner or later.
younglady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2006, 03:05 PM
i thin kyou should donate your organs when u die - what use are they to you once you die and your spirit has left your body?

im registered used to think i wouldnt donate my heart but have changed my mine and am down for everything to be donated.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by younglady
i thin kyou should donate your organs when u die - what use are they to you once you die and your spirit has left your body?
Does something really have to be 'useful' though to be retained? I just feel more comfortable leaving roughly the same way that I entered. I fully understand and respect other people's desire to donate but for me personally, it just doesn't sit right.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-08-2006, 03:21 PM
It's just something that I personally fundamentally disagree with. I'm not in the least bit religious but I don't need to be to realise that inflating the population count through artifical life-giving means is fundamentally wrong, in my view.

I'm of the view that when your time is up, it's up. Celebrate what you have and live it to the full in the knowledge that it has to come to an end sooner or later.
Which is fine if you have had a life to live, some are born with defects and would never have a normal life if not for transplants.
I think it is relatively easy for someone who has led a fairly healthy life to adopt your point of view. Some have not been so fortunate.
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2006, 03:36 PM
I think i will eventually sign up however i have alot of concerns. One for example would be who recieves the organs? Well i know perhaps 99.9% of recipents will be good people however i cant think of anything worse than donating organs to say a murderer or rapist. And to say an alkaholic who may have intentions of changing in that life or death situation but when it comes to it ruins the organs they have been gifted with completely wasting what could have been someone elses chance.

What amazes me though is the "recycling" of organs in patients with CF. I am led to believe that CF patients generally have a double heart and lung translant and their own hearts are then transplanted into somebody else. So in a way the single tragic death turns into a double celebration.(correct me if im wrong).
younglady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2006, 03:43 PM
no offence is meant by what im about to say but some people have the view that adults who do not put themselves on organ list shouldnt get transplants if they need one - would be interesting to see how different some people would be about it if their children needed an organ donor or if their pregant wife needed one - as far as "bad people" eg murders etc getting organ donors maybe they should put them at the bottom of the list
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >