Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2012, 05:44 PM

Is it time to say goodbye to Buster?

As some of you may know Buster,our 15 yr old Heinz 57 dog has had dementia for nearly 2 yrs.
He has been on Aktivait which has helped a lot

But lately he has really gone downhill
He has begun to wee every a.m on his bed(has had tests for diabetes etc-all negative and now is on medication)
He isnt enjoying walks much at all and lately doesnt seem bothered much about his food.
He still recognises us but often doesnt even stand up when we come in-
His back legs are very stiff and he has lost a lot of fur on under his chin and on his body.

Today I just didnt see the spark in his eyes that he has had up to now-he just looks SO weary.

My son is getting married in November and I was looking into someone"dogsitting" on the day and evening of the wedding but I feel now that wouldnt be right

Im so so scared that he will suddenly go downhill and will have to be P.T.S. by an emergency vet-instead of the vet who has cared for him so well and who came out to our house to P.T.S. Dougal,1 of our cats 5 mths ago.
Then I feel guilty as if its like I want him out of the way before the wedding

Typing this has been so hard and the thought of making that phone call is killing me-though I know it is the thing only we can do for him.

I know everyone says better a day too soon than a day too late and I think in my heart that this is true for him.

My O.H finds this difficult to discuss and I know the final decision will be mine.
Thank you for reading this long post -just wish I didnt have to type it-I have been dreading this day
Maureen
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2012, 05:47 PM
I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. It is the hardest decision we have to make and I believe it is something that only the people involved can make.

I have a few "rules" that I follow when making that decision but it does differ from dog to dog. The one that does stick with most of them, is their eyes. I can usually tell when they have had enough by just looking at them.

Helen
joto
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-10-2012, 05:54 PM
I agree with the comment about the eyes, with our elderly BC, it looked as though the light had gone out.

He was my OH's dog and he had a problem dealing with it & I think we kept him going a week or so too long.

Very difficult decision,would be much easier to deal with if they just went in their sleep.
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Thank you both
so much

Busters eyes have not looked right since he had the dementia but lately they look as if there is nothing there.

I agree-I keep hoping he will just go in his sleep-in fact I watched him this afternoon and kept hoping that it would happen and then felt guilty.

God bless
Maureen
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-10-2012, 06:00 PM
I'm sorry. At the end of the day you will do the right thing and when you know its right.
It is never an easy thing to do. Xx
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Wouldn't it be so lovely if our beloved dogs just dozed off one night and never woke up, but that so rarely happens and it is up to us to make the heartrending decision.

I don't think that you are putting the wedding before Buster at all, but it is just one more worry isn't it. From everything that you have written, I think that you know what your decision is really because you have described a dog who has lost interest in life and the normal highlights of each day.

Don't think of yourself, your own feelings or possible guilt.......focus on how Buster is viewing life, and whether his present problems are ever likely to improve. My heart goes out to you, as it does to every poor soul who ever has to go through this.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2012, 06:43 PM
First off, big cyber ((( HUG )))

I think you sound like you know what's best for him, it's never an easy decision, and as you say, you don't want him to go down hill suddenly and it all be taken out of your hands.
Just remember what ever you decide, it's done with love and compassion for your dog .
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Thank you again for your kindness in replying to my post.

He has been sleeping most of tonight in front of the fire,occasionally standing up and trying to lie down and get comfy again-he isnt able to do that-he just sort of lets himself fall back.

O.H is staying downstairs with him tonight as he is so settled and has trouble getting upstairs
When I came up her to bed I had a horrible feeling like I wouldnt see him again-I wanted to give him a hug but didnt want to wake him.

When I looked at him tonight he just looked so weary and I kept thinking of how he used to be when we walked him and Lulu.
O.H used to hold Busters lead a she was so strong and got so excited when he was out walking

Am I awful in feeling that I just want this to be over???
Maureen
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2012, 10:21 PM
I kept hoping my sweep would go in his sleep but he didn't. I had him put down, probably 12 hours too late, and you could tell he had had enough.

I know it sounds daft, but if he could i honestly think he would have thanked me.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2012, 10:45 PM
No, it's not awful. You want your dog to go peacefully, without pain. It is the last gift of love you can give him, let him go in peace and dignity.

It is, of course, your decision at the end of the day, only YOU know your dog well enough to be able to tell. We, on Dogsey, can only offer advice and empathy, as well as cyber hugs. We all feel the pain, we all know how hard it can be. You will make the right decision at the end of the day, and nobody here will judge you. The timing sucks, this is true, but he can't help that, and it is not your fault. Don't blame yourself for a second or him for that matter.

xxx *hugs*
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »