Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kaya
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-08-2011, 02:36 PM

Opinion on a quality dog food?

i was thinking about changing my dogs food to something more suitable for a giant breed any suggestions?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 07:28 PM
hi what is your pup on now?

the trick with large dogs is to grow them lean and slowly,fat pups make fat adults and does no good for their growing bones.

imo,puppy food in the very early stages is required,but depending on the dog i would change to adult at around 6 months.

the other thing is to not change food often, and if u do,to do it gradually ,as pups are laying down their 'good gut bacteria' and also because dire,rear can occur if it is not done slowly,and this can kill puppies.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-08-2011, 07:31 PM
You have a lot more options in the US then we have over here ..
other wise what lay-laaaaaa says makes sense...
Kaya
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi what is your pup on now?

the trick with large dogs is to grow them lean and slowly,fat pups make fat adults and does no good for their growing bones.

imo,puppy food in the very early stages is required,but depending on the dog i would change to adult at around 6 months.

the other thing is to not change food often, and if u do,to do it gradually ,as pups are laying down their 'good gut bacteria' and also because dire,rear can occur if it is not done slowly,and this can kill puppies.
actually a little ashamed to say but she was on purina puppy chow for large breed when i got her so i havent changed it. the vet says she is not over or under weight but i feel like she could benefit from better food...
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Kaya View Post
actually a little ashamed to say but she was on purina puppy chow for large breed when i got her so i havent changed it. the vet says she is not over or under weight but i feel like she could benefit from better food...
id go for a grain free,

my large breed pup was fed raw and a 'kibble' brand we have here that only contains fish and potato.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 07:58 PM
I think Wellness is meant to be a good breed in USA?
Maybe some more dogsey folk from there will be able to help you with good brands sold in the US...
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
I think Wellness is meant to be a good breed in USA?
Maybe some more dogsey folk from there will be able to help you with good brands sold in the US...
its not the brand thats important,its the ingredients
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Innova , Taste of the wild , Orijen all good foods from the US..
Plus as whichpets says Wellness core...
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
its not the brand thats important,its the ingredients
Yes.. it's whats inside the branded bag!!

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Tomato Pomace, Rye Flour, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Tomatoes, Rice Bran, Whitefish, Natural Chicken Flavor, Carrots, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Ground Flaxseed, Ground Millet, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins etc....

Maybe there are quite a few grains in it.. seems to grain split
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Wafcol are a US food company & its a very good food. They do breed bite size food for adults. Their puppy food is very good & will set your pup up for transfer onto their large/giant breed food. When transferring to adult diet eventually i would recommend the salmon & potato variety