Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
em_er_li
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2010, 12:03 AM
Hmm.. okay.

It's stopping her from eating anything and everything she comes across. Her particular favourites are Badger poo (badgers visit our garden alot.. MORE now we've got a dog?!) and also plastic bags (the bright side to this is maybe her poos will come pre-packaged for me?! haha )

It's coming out of the bathroom all squeaky clean and lovely and settling down on the sofa, to have a big clumsy staffy throw herself on you and lick you unil you're COVERED, and having to take another wash when she goes to bed!

It's the exasparation and the hours spent trying to get her to do that ONE THING. And the dashed hopes when she does it once.. and never again (my girl's a bit dopey, bless her)

It's all my clothes having hairs like PINS in them.

It's drool on my sleeve when I have some crisps

It's having to explain to people she's a bit stinky, because of her poorly neck. And them STILL turning their nose up.

It's people avoiding her because she's a staffy

It's also,
The waggy bum
The stopping after she takes two steps down the stairs, and looking back at me, 'well, are you coming or what?! it's walkies!'
The cuddles
The amazing feeling when she learns something, and knowing that I helped her to do it
The look on her face when I first unclipped the lead, 'uhhm, what're you doing..? wait, what am I doing? I'm off!'
The kisses, IN MODERATION! lol
The looking after her neck, and worrying abou her everyday, and wishing her to be better.
The getting up.
The fact there's no room in my bed anymore.
It's seeing the progress she's gradually making
The snoring! When she's AWAKE!

Ohhh, so many things!

Sorry for long post!

EDIT; it's the fact my life is so much more worthwhile now I have someone who needs me, and loves me, and would do anything to make me happy.
And that works both ways
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2010, 12:08 AM
constant cleaning
hair everywhere
walks in the rain
walks at 6:30 in the morning
a lot of embarrassment, coz they seem to know exactly what will cause it
restrictions on a lot of things to do
the expense!
never get a moments piece

but

theres doggy kisses
doggy cuddles
love and devotion, only a dog can give
unwaivering trust and loyalty
gorgeous eyes that make you feel all warm and fuzzy
joy of watching them enjoy themself
thee best welcome home ever!
bum wiggles

i couldnt be without a dog...
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2010, 07:54 AM
Sorry, guess I was just in a really positive 'love my dog' mood.

OK:

*Mud, everywhere, always.
*Shoulder pain because of pulling on the lead that even the experts have suggested I give up on.
*Slobber, everywhere, always and usually on clean clothes the minute I put them on.
*Restrictions to go places because of lack of anyone to look after him and the worry when someone does look after him that he will be safe and happy.
*The attention and stimulation he needs, all day everyday. A 2 hour walk a day will not just cut it, he also need games and training and mental stimulation as well as time to himself to play and chew a bone.
*The expense of the food because of his jippy tummy. £45 every 2 months would be a nice top.
*Missing out on nice things because of necessary expenses like bed, toys, vets bills etc.

BUT,

Like I said before, that happy bum bouncing about on walks everyday and the breakfast kisses and the snuggly little chap he is makes every day of this worthwhile to me. I love him, more than I ever thought I could.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Can I just include, vacuuming the kids as they are on their way out of the door to school as their fleeces look like they have grown a fur coat of their own. And looking back to admire your freshly mopped kitchen floor only for the dogs to open the back door themselves and run all over it with the muddiest paws you have ever seen
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Can I just include, vacuuming the kids as they are on their way out of the door to school as their fleeces look like they have grown a fur coat of their own. And looking back to admire your freshly mopped kitchen floor only for the dogs to open the back door themselves and run all over it with the muddiest paws you have ever seen
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2010, 02:15 PM
well my bed looks like some kind of horrific, violent crime has taken place in it and all because my little girl is having her first season. it really doesn't bother me at all as it will wash out and she is used to sleeping with me so why would i stop her now. some of my friends have been absolutely horrified at this! infact one of them is just horrified that i would have a dog in my bed full stop!

i spent the day doing housework and realised that had it not been for the dogs i wouldn't have been wiping mud off skirting boards, washing throws with muddy pawprints on, cleaning muddy pawprints off my kitchen cabinets and washing dog snot off my french doors! infact my cleaning would have taken half the time!

my house is set up to be dog friendly and damage limitation is key here. anything precious is raised or hidden in cupboards from waggy tails. my flooring is vinyl so can be wiped clean (haha) if necessary. my walls are painted with kitchen/bathroom paint so i can again, wipe clean.

would i be without them? not on your life!!! my dogs are the most loyal companions i have ever had and have consistently brought more joy to my life than any human.

infact i would go as far as to say that i feel the same depth of love for them as i do my kids.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Other people say they are a tie - to me, I couldn't imagine a more wonderful shackle!

No, I will never have a garden I'm proud of, my house will never been totally clean, their fur will always end up in the most unlikeliest of places and my life seems to revolve around their needs totally ...BUT, what they give back in love and devotion is immeasurable.

As the plaque above my front door says, A House Is Not A Home Without A Dog
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
owning dogs I've been thinking about this for a while now, and having read loads of stuff on here and other places I thought it would be a good idea for us all to come clean and tell warts and all what it's really like having dogs.
This going to be a really long lasting thread Elaineb - I'll have a think and get back to you
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7