Dogsey Veteran
Female 

MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
http://www.educating-rover.co.uk/dog_training.html
Nice link but seriously, would YOU leave your dog anywhere for 2 weeks for someone else to train?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 09:21 PM
I'd need a bit more information---when is he getting near sheep---is his owner around at the time, what is his general level of obedience.

Regardless of breed this has to be sorted out fast---for the sake of the sheep and the dog.

If the owner is around when this happens then I might well consider using a spray collar. Very carefully and without sheep around to tune the dog in first.

If the owner isn't around then there isn't an answer!

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 09:23 PM
http://www.educating-rover.co.uk/dog_training.html
Who is it?

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Nice link but seriously, would YOU leave your dog anywhere for 2 weeks for someone else to train?

No I would not, but the link was posted re sheep worrying and of course this is not residential.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Who is it?

rune
Sue Harper
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Sue Harper
Thank you.

rune
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I am not suggesting for one moment that this as a solution (or any other electronic solution) and what I am posting is purely anecdotal in relation to what happened to one of my dogs.

This dog when young was very interested in sheep and loved nothing better than to chase after things. We were passing by a field of sheep on a walk and I had him on his lead. The excited dog lunged forward and got zapped by the electric fence. He did not yelp, but it stopped him in his tracks and he withdrew immediately. It was sufficient to put him off from approaching sheep permanently after that and he always gave them a wide berth. He didn't get badly hurt, but it must have been quite uncomfortable and the last thing I wanted was for that to happen to him. It was accidental, pure and simple, but it certainly stopped him wanting to chase sheep.
ouch poor soul - I ran into an e fence when i was a daft kid - and it hurt
BUT - it can be different with different dogs with different arousal levels - if this dog has some kind of fighting breed in him pain might not stop him
I have mentioned it before but Mia went under 3 e fences to get to a field of sheep when I first got her - thankfully she just wanted to move them not attack and came right back when she had done her 'job' - well she came back to the first fence then cowered infront of it too scared to come tru it

I now walk her alongside fields of sheep and she pays them no more interest than if they were bushes

As Angela recounts on her website there are all sorts of sheep worriers and what will cure one will not cure others and the use of aversives are often contraindicated in many cases.

Imagine if you got a shock when you saw a sheep your antipathy towards them could increase............. it is called the law of unintended consequences................

Be very careful.
Yup, its a big risk - it might work for some dogs depending WHY they are doing what they are doing - but it might end up being even worse
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Totally agree---but we are not talking about someone who can avoid the situation. Having been on an Angela sheep day she agreed that in some situations it was better to take that risk than risk what could or had happened.

We had someone with a nervy BSD who lived among sheep, not a dog anyone would normally even consider putting an aversive spray collar on----but in the situation it was desperate and in fact it worked well.

I haven't stopped Celt wanting to chase sheep---what I have done is made him obedient in all situations. Hopefully Benj will also eventually stop wanting to chase. I have the luxury with Benj of taking it slowly and using a ball and rewards to help the basics along----with Celt it was urgent---he had got into the field and had chased and the sheep are all around the house. Luckily the fields have been put down to kale at the moment and the fencing is much more secure. I did learn from the mistake!

rune
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
ouch poor soul - I ran into an e fence when i was a daft kid - and it hurt
BUT - it can be different with different dogs with different arousal levels - if this dog has some kind of fighting breed in him pain might not stop him
I've kept this in mind too. When I was still living in Hampshire, a few attacks on farm livestock were reported on the news. One was a pony on marshes near Southampton that was badly hurt by a bull terrier (Staffy) type dog, and if my memory serves me right, a cow was similarly injured by two Staffy/bull terrier dogs. The stock had a lot of injuries about the head and nose. This is what Bull terriers originally did, and not just for sport.

I can understand why some people might include bull breeds in lurcher crosses as it would certainly give a degree of determination and "finish" when going after legitimate prey, but I can't think they would be trustworthy around farm stock.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >