Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
I agree, but if rescues dont take them, where do you think they go????
maybe the BCCGB could contact all the rescues about breeders that send in the unwanted and let the rescues decide themselves to give you the info.
I will however talk to the rescue in question myself and get back to you.

I dont know the paticular ladies details myself.
We are not creating demand, the people that want the pedigree puppies are, the rescue is just taking in those that would probably have a lethal end otherwise.
This is the relationship that i am not going to destroy, by handing over details!!!!!!
Fine then if this breeder is named and shamed people will stop going to her. Alot of people contact the Breed Societies for recommendations, they also have a blacklist. Passing the buck to the BCCGB and the sub clubs is not a let off. We all as individuals have a responsibility to do something however small.
Send me the rescues details and i'll make enquires myself. That way your not involved.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by wendy taylor View Post
well have just bred my Mastiff bitch,hip and elbow scored,eye tested DNA'd,and am extremely excited with her progress,she is from a long line of my own breeding of fully health tested dogs,I have many people that have owned dogs that have been bought from me in the past on my waiting list,I am hoping to keep two for myself,I have helped with rescue and still do,I have taken in other breeds,as well as crossbreeds/mongrels etc,we have several so called rescues in the south east,and when i've visited,you can hear the dogs coughing,some looking pot bellied with worms etc,(must also ad have seen good ones as well)I would much prefer to go to a reputable breeder that does all the same tests as me,that have healthy puppies,with good hip and elbow scores on the parents,when adopting a pedigree dog from any rescue you will not recieve the paperwork,so you therefore would not be able to exhibit it at Champ or open shows,only the companion shows,
I like mongrels and crossbreds,but my preference is for a well balanced, healthy, well bred dog of my choosing,some rescues want to match you up with a a dog,now this I would not accept under any circumstances,we have all heard of dogs being rehomed from rescues to unsuitable owners,it happens in all avenues,you cannot just lay blame on breeders,it is actually the people involved,
Wendy
I agree its not just breeders, but they are part of it!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 05:23 PM
but you're lumping ALL breeders together and there is a very big difference believe me!
Becky
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Fine then if this breeder is named and shamed people will stop going to her. Alot of people contact the Breed Societies for recommendations, they also have a blacklist. Passing the buck to the BCCGB and the sub clubs is not a let off. We all as individuals have a responsibility to do something however small.
Send me the rescues details and i'll make enquires myself. That way your not involved.
I shall but will you respect my privacy and that of the wishes of the rescue concerned?
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 05:28 PM
I shall but will you respect my privacy and that of the wishes of the rescue concerned?
But of course, I have previously said that. I'm not trying to cause trouble, I'm trying to do something that will protect my breed, a small but I think valuable attempt.
I need to get my facts right though before I make a report to the societies. I'm not saying the rescue is lying in any way but hearsay is a dangerous thing and if I am to take this to the BCCGB then I must have the facts.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Have PM'd you Patch
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 05:37 PM
No rescue (a decent one) will home a dog with it's papers,many go into rescue without any.

Why?
How can you be sure they are the correct papers for the correct dog?
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 05:38 PM
TINKLADYV
Thankyou for your PM and the details I requested. I will do what I can but will keep everything anonymous and respect your wishes.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Tinkladyv, if I may, perhaps you could take a deep breath and consider your approach ? I used to be the same as you, a few years ago, I would dive in with both feet and being very vocal - unfortunately I used to tar the ethical breeders with the same brush as the bad ones, at least thats how I came across, and the result was that no one listened to what I was trying to say
I can`t blame them, I said things in such a poor way, there was no two way communication, just me shouting a lot

The fact is, if the ethical breeders stopped breeding, there would be no health testing, so no healthy dogs being bred - and with the best will in the world even health testing is`nt a cast iron guarantee - thats why ethical breeders have contingencies to care for or carefully home pups born with health issues no matter how careful they are to avoid it, and why those same ethical breeders will take back any and every pup they have bred at any age if the owners have difficulties be it behavioural, financial, divorce, whatever.

What I would like to see [ which will never happen so no one need worry about the ramifications of me saying it anyway ], is a ban on all breeding for say two years - the numbers in rescues would drop dramatically if that happened, through none being irresponsibly bred and through more people adopting rather than wait at least two years for a puppy, though there would still be litters of accidental pups occurring, there always have and there always will be, unless there is legislation for compulsory neutering of all non-breeding quality highest calibre dogs.

We all know that won`t happen, humans are too quick to argue against legislation which should protect dogs, too many see it only as an affront to human `freedoms`.

So, we have to look at alternatives like education, weeding out puppy farmers and unethical breeders, tightening or at least enforcing existing laws on licensed breeding, [ I think every breeder should have to have a license imo ], and educating new owners.

No one will be educated however if they are just shouted at and not listened to in return, and frankly most people on Dogsey who breed do so with the highest ethics you could dream of for the pups they produce.

I do have rescues - 6 of them - purebreds and crossbreeds, and four are deaf, no I have never bred a litter and I never will, and while there is one single dog in a rescue needing a home I will never buy from a breeder no matter how ethical they are and no matter how much I would love to have a pup I could pick which is bred from the best lines ever, and I will always try to steer people toward rescue at every opportunity - but I won`t get people to consider adopting a rescue dog if I put a virtual gun to their heads, it just took me a while to realise that and I hope the same will happen for you.
If you can just think about how you get things across and can listen reasonably without pointing the finger at those who do get things right - those breeders who are side by side with me and the likes of me on hunting out and trying to stop the bad breeders, and educating people about neuter etc, of that I can assure you - then I would be pleased to welcome you to stand with us as well :smt001

But if you choose to continue to simply attack the way I used to myself, you will do more harm than good hun, I know, been there, done that, and needed a good kick up the backside to make me see where I was going wrong - thankfully there were people with the patience to help me temper the things I said - exactly the same as you are doing right now so I do understand where you are coming from - but I learned through their guidence to communicate much better on behalf of rescue dogs
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 05:43 PM
No rescue (a decent one) will home a dog with it's papers,many go into rescue without any.

Why?
With regards to papers, the reson we dont let ours go with papers it to stop the dog being sold on later. Also if we get papers with a dog we keep them on file for reference.
Page 10 of 32 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »