View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-01-2006, 08:50 PM

New Laptop...help required if possible...

I hope this works this time as my first attempt failed and I'm posting again...

Features of laptop are as follows...

Mobile AMD Turion 64 ML-30 Processor(35W 1.6GHz)
100GB Hard Disk Drive
ATI PCI Express Graphics(Mobility Radeon Xpress 200 upto 128 MB shared memory
1024MB DDR RAM memory
TV Tuner(DVB-T and Analogue Tuner)
Multi Standard DVD/CD Burner(with dual layer support)
Wireless working with WLAN* and Bluetooth(WLAN 802.11b/g, upto 54Mbit/s and Bluetooth-standard v1.2
High definition audio system with 4 speakers and 1 subwoofer
Firewire IEEE1394 connection
Audio out
Microphone in
Infrared interface
DC in
DVI monitor interface
VGA out
Video/S-Video out
1xModem(RJ11)
DVD Burner
6 x USB 2.0
LAN(RJ45)
SP/DIF Digital out
Audio in
PCMCIA type II
4 in one card reader
Li-lon battery
RF Remote Control
Carrying Bag
Mains adaptor
17" Widescreen Glare Type LCD Display WXGA with 1440 x 900 pixels
3 year Guarentee

Software:Microsoft Works 8.0
MS Auto Route 2005
MS Encarta Encyclopedia 2005
MS Flugsimulator 2004
MS Picure It Premium 10
Nero Burning Rom 6
Nero Recode 2-SE
eTrust Antivirus
PowerDVD 6
Power Cinema 4.2
Power Producer 3.0
Musicmatch Jukebox 9.0

I'm no expert, I'm a novice with computers but maybe someone can tell me if this is a pretty good purchase but here's the problem...

I have an ordinary BT line coming into the house.
Where it enters the house it goes to a phone situated in the lounge, using an extension cable the line continues into my bedroom where it goes to a seperate phone and into a modem installed internally in the desktop pc.

I hope to go broadband with my present ISP soon(Madasafish)when I do the ISP send out some things that stop interference on the line and allow ordinary calls to be made whilst using the pc and they also supply an adaptor that you plug into a a USB port(in which I assume you put the phone cable and bypass the original modem)

Upon getting home I have discovered reading the laptop manual its internal modem will work with an ordinary line but it states that it must not be connected to an ISDN line or broadband as the different voltages will damage the internal modem and possibly the laptop. Not a problem at present as its an ordinary line.

Is possible to plug in the laptop so it will work with broadband, do I have to change the internal modem? Will it be a case of buying another broadband adaptor which placed between the incoming line and the connection to the laptop? Can I join up with broadband by using a wireless connection and how difficult is that as I probably would like not to be tied physically to a phoneline.

The main reason for getting a laptop was to avoid having to keep coming upstairs to the main computer, I wanted both so to be able to use my broadband connection(when I get it)and to be able to stay downstairs in the lounge and use the laptop to keep on top of and access meesageboards like Dogweb and send e-mails more than I am able to now.

But if its going to be a big problem I probably could get a refund and return it quite quickly as its unused and unable to manage the main reason it was purchased for.

Any help really would be appreciated.

Thank You

Gildy
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Did they tell you whether your laptop was wireless enabled already Gildy?
I have a wireless enabled laptop and it just has a switch at the side which I have to switch and it connects to the internet no problem. If it isnt wireless you might have to buy a pc card to put inside it to make it wireless or a usb port network adaptor. I think you will also need a router plugged into your main computer to transmit the signals.
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Thank you Foxy for your help...I cannot believe that I parted with the money but I have saved for ages and worried should I or shouldn't I get one but I decided as finance may get worse at some time, I wait then I'll never get one so now I have it. The next worry will always be that I can stay online with my friends(I hope broadband)and feed my birds and animals. That will keep me happy.

What if I have the pc's and cannot afford to put them to good use

I think when I do go broadband the isp sends me a router for the pc upstairs otherwise that cannot be run on broadband and they also supply little things to avoid interference on the line. That's a good idea about being on a wireless system. As long as I can make certain no hijacks my connection for free.

I wonder if I require only one router or a second for the laptop? I probably will only be using the laptop around the house anyhow.

Now as I have gone to all this trouble to keep in touch with you all, you better not think of packing in and disappearing.

Take Care

Gildy xx
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2006, 02:12 AM
Hi Gildy,

We have 3 desktops and 1 laptop that run off only one router. I have the main pc downstairs attached to the telephone line and the filter plugs into the telephone line also. The router is connected to my desktop which the telephone line is connected too. My sons and daughters pcs have a USB network adaptor each which they plug into a usb port and this makes them wireless. My laptop which I used occasionally is wireless enabled already and it just connects wirelessly.

To make sure noone hijacks your connection you have to encrypt it which I did not so long ago with the help of a good friend on here that ensures that no-one can join your network for free.

Don't worry Gildy - we are all staying here for a long time to come, I hope
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-01-2006, 02:38 AM
The laptop that you have bought is ok it is wireless enabled already the AMD Turion 64 is AMD's version of intel centrino.

The modem in your laptop is used for dial up like on the desktop you have and can not be used for broadband you also will not be able to change the internal modem on your laptop to connect to broadband you will need a exturnal one for this.
Broadband uses differant wires in the phone line for the internet connection and you will need filters for them simular to this but they might be different this but they preform the same task.

There are two ways your laptop will be able to connect to broadband connection through a exturnal modem either wireless or through cable the RJ45 connection you have on the Laptop.But since you have bought the Laptop for mobility and not to be tied down by cables then the only way to go is wireless.

You will need a wireless modem/router so that your Laptop can connect to it your laptop will not need anything else but the desktop upstairs if you want that to connect as well then you will have to buy a wireless pci card or USB dongle.

Since you are going wireless PLEASE encrypt your wireless connection this very important as the wireless signal broadcasts a signal the size of a football pitch and any one with a wireless laptop will be able to piggy back on your connection.

I'll leave what i have said for now but if you got any more questions ask away i'll try my best to answer them.
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Thanks Leo and everyone for all the help.

I'm thinking of trying the laptop out later today on a normal connection for now. Better see that it works. This desktop was all set up for me so its going to be fun setting up the MS firewall and I'd like to use the same virus checker but I don't understand if I can get the same one I have on here to work on the laptop or whether I have to download it again and can use the same program on both etc...I'm thinking of the license agreement etc...I use AVG free edition. I wonder if I just add the same details into the downloaded software.

Both laptop and desktop use Windows XP but does that mean that I have to use two different registration numbers etc...that I cannot use again the same authorisation codes etc... as on the main pc?

Sorry to ask all these questions

But thanks again...

Gildy
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Download the free AVG here I f you still got the original .exe set up that you got it will install on the laptop. The MS firewall in xp will auto configure it's self so no need to worry about that any way if you get stuck i'm not far away if yuo need any help.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

16-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by The Great Gildersleeve
I hope this works this time as my first attempt failed and I'm posting again...

Features of laptop are as follows...

Mobile AMD Turion 64 ML-30 Processor(35W 1.6GHz)
100GB Hard Disk Drive
ATI PCI Express Graphics(Mobility Radeon Xpress 200 upto 128 MB shared memory
1024MB DDR RAM memory
TV Tuner(DVB-T and Analogue Tuner)
Multi Standard DVD/CD Burner(with dual layer support)
Wireless working with WLAN* and Bluetooth(WLAN 802.11b/g, upto 54Mbit/s and Bluetooth-standard v1.2
High definition audio system with 4 speakers and 1 subwoofer
Firewire IEEE1394 connection
Audio out
Microphone in
Infrared interface
DC in
DVI monitor interface
VGA out
Video/S-Video out
1xModem(RJ11)
DVD Burner
6 x USB 2.0
LAN(RJ45)
SP/DIF Digital out
Audio in
PCMCIA type II
4 in one card reader
Li-lon battery
RF Remote Control
Carrying Bag
Mains adaptor
17" Widescreen Glare Type LCD Display WXGA with 1440 x 900 pixels
3 year Guarentee

Software:Microsoft Works 8.0
MS Auto Route 2005
MS Encarta Encyclopedia 2005
MS Flugsimulator 2004
MS Picure It Premium 10
Nero Burning Rom 6
Nero Recode 2-SE
eTrust Antivirus
PowerDVD 6
Power Cinema 4.2
Power Producer 3.0
Musicmatch Jukebox 9.0

I'm no expert, I'm a novice with computers but maybe someone can tell me if this is a pretty good purchase but here's the problem...

I have an ordinary BT line coming into the house.
Where it enters the house it goes to a phone situated in the lounge, using an extension cable the line continues into my bedroom where it goes to a seperate phone and into a modem installed internally in the desktop pc.

I hope to go broadband with my present ISP soon(Madasafish)when I do the ISP send out some things that stop interference on the line and allow ordinary calls to be made whilst using the pc and they also supply an adaptor that you plug into a a USB port(in which I assume you put the phone cable and bypass the original modem)

Upon getting home I have discovered reading the laptop manual its internal modem will work with an ordinary line but it states that it must not be connected to an ISDN line or broadband as the different voltages will damage the internal modem and possibly the laptop. Not a problem at present as its an ordinary line.

Is possible to plug in the laptop so it will work with broadband, do I have to change the internal modem? Will it be a case of buying another broadband adaptor which placed between the incoming line and the connection to the laptop? Can I join up with broadband by using a wireless connection and how difficult is that as I probably would like not to be tied physically to a phoneline.

The main reason for getting a laptop was to avoid having to keep coming upstairs to the main computer, I wanted both so to be able to use my broadband connection(when I get it)and to be able to stay downstairs in the lounge and use the laptop to keep on top of and access meesageboards like Dogweb and send e-mails more than I am able to now.

But if its going to be a big problem I probably could get a refund and return it quite quickly as its unused and unable to manage the main reason it was purchased for.

Any help really would be appreciated.

Thank You

Gildy
Hi Gildy

The laptop sounds nice! It has a wireless card built in (most laptops do these days) so all you need is a wirless broadband modem router - this is basically a broadband modem and 'sharer' built in so you can share the internet connection with wireless enabled computers as well as 'wired' ones which are connected via a cable. You could even get a 'wireless' card for your desktop PC so it could connect without wires too

These routers cost about £60 and a good brand is Linksys.
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-01-2006, 10:48 PM
Leo and Eraz
Again your opinions and help are so greatly appreciated. I thought that I would set it away tonight and there are a few teething problems such as the connection that fits into the BT box is blocking the splitter so I cannot run the normal phone in the lounge and another way I thought around the problem stopped the phone working altogether. Well, if I go broadband and/or wireless that problem can be solved. Even a different connector to the BT line would solve the problem.

However, the problem is that has caused most trouble is when I switched the laptop on it seemed very quiet so when I came to turn the volume up I found it was at the loudest setting. Then when I decided that could be a fault it appears that I have to set up the Windows software and put details in before I can switch off the laptop and I'd like to be able just to switch the unit off but I know pulling a cable out is not the answer. I could damage the Hard Drive and if I was to keep it I'd have a damaged laptop and equally I'd be returning a unit perhaps in a state the retailer would not like to receive.

I understand that I have 28 days for a refund.

Do I have to put details in and set up Windows so I can turn the laptop off? Do you think when its set up the volume will be louder as I could at least try a disc with some mp3's on or a CD or a DVD. If I have to set up Windows to get it to turn off what do you suggest is the best kind of minimal information to put in so it can be powered down?

If this volume thing and trying to turn the unit off had not happened I would probably have been alot happier with what seems to be otherwise a very decent unit. Mum has already said if I am unsure she's all for me getting another(and probably helping, that can't be bad but this unit does still seem to offer so much.

Sorry to cause so much confusion and hassle.

At present the unit is on and I'm not sure if/when I can turn it off without knowing the above...and I have gone through the manual from cover to cover, I even wondered if it might power down if I shut the laptop but I cannot be sure.

Again, thanks...

Gildy
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

16-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Can you go to the green 'start' bar and then go to 'Turn off Computer' ?

If not u could try [CONTROL] + [ALT] + [DELETE] then a box pops up.. there should be a 'shutdown' option there.

With regards to the volume, in your icons at the bottom right should be a small speaker, click on that to adjust the volume...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >