Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2011, 09:16 AM

Excitement with other dogs and people

Hi, havnt been on here for a while but really need some advice.

Arthur turned 1 at the beggining of this month and he has gotten soo big but we are having a little trouble with him barking, growling and desperatly trying to get to another dog while he os on lead (he is fine off) and when people want to stroke him he jumps and mouths. ive tried making him sit but with other dogs it doesnt work and with people he does calm down after a few mins.

does anyone know what i can try to get him to just calm down as when he is calm he is perfect, he just gets way to overexited.

thank you
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Hey - i was actually wondering where you had gone as arthur has the same birthday as alfie!

Not sure if this will work, but what I do with alfie if he gets too excited about seeing a dog when he is on lead, is if he pulls etc, I turn wand walk in the other direction away from it, and then when calm we turn and walk towards it again, so maybe you could try this? Like if he is barking/growling just turn and walk away and then walk back again when he is calmer?
Also when he is jumping up/mouthing you could again remove him until he calms down and then go back?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Agree with the above - move away, get him under control, reward.
Dogs find `greeting` on lead quite stressful. Off lead they can control the distance, run away if necessary, and exhibit appeasement behaviour. Being confronted at close quarters by a strange person or dog is daunting, especially for a young dog.
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2011, 12:57 PM
thanks for your replies

ive been soo busy lately had no time to come on but its all good now.

i will definatly try this, we did the same with the walking on lead and he is sooo good now. so hopefully i can get this under control.

i need some people to be my testers lol.

thanks again
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 03:22 PM
If I was closer I would have offered!
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2011, 04:50 PM
aww that sucks

i will have to gather some friends and their dogs lol