View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Wales and Northern Ireland have both opted for the humane Route of vaccinating badgers... lets just hope the petition can get the 100,000 needed to have this travesty debated in parliament.

another way to help is to boycott beef and dairy, the Co-op says its farms dont support the cull so if you cant give up your meat and dairy shop here

http://www.co-operative.coop/join-th...d-badger-cull/

thank you to all who have taken the time to sign and share.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Signed, just noticed Brian May started it too
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by HollyG1 View Post
Signed, just noticed Brian May started it too
thank you Holly
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 12:03 PM
I've signed. Brian May was on telly the other night, it could have been C4 news, not sure. He was great.

To me, it is crystal clear. A badger cull is a complete waste of time unless you kill every single badger, and that would be impossible, therefore it is a nonsense and a senseless waste.

Do I think that badgers spread TB in cattle? I am sure they do - but the answer is to breed TB resistant cattle, to roll with the punches instead of just lashing out and killing everything that gets in our way.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
One school of thought reckons it will make less than 1% difference to TB.

Nature, if left to its own devices tends to have a way of managing population control far better than we are, but we will insist on one minute protecting, the next culling

but nature has already been over ridden by us needing millions of healthy cows to support our kind,
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
There is always the vaccination option.
But that costs money.
and at the moment its not working very well anyway

i ask all you people that want it stoped, do you have problems with people shooting foxes ?

there are far to many badgers as well you know, people that dont live on/work the land dont get to see them,
on the farm i work on we have 5 different groups of badgers, 20 years ago they had one group nad they foraged most of the land, they now have a 5th of the room they would like
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
but nature has already been over ridden by us needing millions of healthy cows to support our kind,

i ask all you people that want it stoped, do you have problems with people shooting foxes ?

there are far to many badgers as well you know, people that dont live on/work the land dont get to see them,
on the farm i work on we have 5 different groups of badgers, 20 years ago they had one group nad they foraged most of the land, they now have a 5th of the room they would like
Trouble is the cows are not healthy - too inbred, and vulnerable to diseases like TB.

I have a real problem with foxes being shot. I disagree with you saying that there are far too many badgers - maybe this is true in some parts of the countryside, but certainly not round here. Certainly though I agree that there are far more than there were 20 years ago, and very glad I am about that too! I love to see them, and hate to see them dead on the side of the road when they have been struck by cars.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2012, 12:11 PM

how do you know there are far too many badgers? no one really knows what the population actually is!

badger are just scape goats here, other wild animals carry bTB aswell.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Very difficult one and in my honest opinion, I think the trial needs to go ahead to get answers. If not, it will be ongoing. I have no idea of the ins and outs of tb and cattle but watching Adam Henson on Countryfile, lose a lot of his herd, was heartbreaking. I can't even begin to imagine what he must have felt.

Numbers of badgers, they are incredibly secretive and you only really see them dead on roads. When we lived in Northumberland, the only time we saw them, unless it was ill, was at night, once it was dark. I can put my hand on heart and say I never once saw a badger sett, only latrines.

I for one, won't be signing this petition - sorry.

Helen
spot
Dogsey Veteran

19-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
Taken from an article in the Guardian.

Would badger culling help? The answer is no. And to support this conclusion, we need only look back at the evidence of the Krebs trial, a massive pilot cull of badgers over 10 years between 1997 and 2007, overseen by the Independent Scientific Group (ISG). It is a well-worn argument, but it bears repeating: the trial showed that bTB in the culling area was reduced only marginally. Outside the culling area, it actually rose, a result of what is called perturbation, where badgers who have survived a cull spread out to escape danger. This behaviour does not occur in any other species. The conclusion of this massive trial was that "culling can make no meaningful contribution to the reduction of bTB".

In the weeks leading up to the government's latest announcement, seven former members of the ISG wrote a letter to the Times opposing a proposed cull. They included Lord Krebs, who designed the 10-year trial and is now chairman of the House of Lords science and technology select committee, Professor John Bourne, the ISG's chairman, and Dr Chris Cheeseman, the principal scientist for many years at Defra's Woodchester Park study area in Gloucestershire, where farmers themselves were involved in research into badgers, cattle and bTB. They said there was "no empirical data on the cost or effectiveness (or indeed humaneness or safety) of controlling badgers by shooting, which has been illegal for decades".
Lets not let a few facts get in the way of a good ole culling!

As has been said you would need to get rid of all badgers and maybe that is the answer for some people.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

19-09-2012, 04:40 PM

Actually I dont know can you give us some real statistics on how many there are in the country as a whole please and the most highly populated areas?

Thanks

Oh and yes I do have a problem with people shooting foxes but why is that relevant?
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >