View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 06:30 PM
I've never tried a harness as I had heard it encourages a dog to pull, but after reading soe of these posts, I might invest in one.

Although he's a lot better after using a canny collar for a while, Bryan does pull if he's with another dog. Not massively, but enough to need correcting quite frequently.

I'm getting a foster dog pretty soon so I might try a harness on Bryan andsee how it goes. The canny collar was good, but it's a right faff on when I want to let him off lead. The harness could just stay on I'm guessing?
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 06:33 PM
We had Cassie on an extendable lead as a pup (through lack of knowledge really) and I believe this was the start of the problem with her pulling.
We have spent the last 3 years trying to train her out of pulling. This ranges from any head collar on the market (most of which the little houdini can escape from) so progressed to various types of harnesses. This doesn't mean we still don't put the training in to stop her pulling, it just means it's an ongoing thing that we may never completely get her out of. Now we have a perfect fit harness and a bungee puppy lead. She's not nearly as bad as she used to be but on the way out for her walks she's worse than on the way back. I think sheer excitement also has something to do with it.

By the way Boobah, I'll send her up to you, maybe you can sort the little madame out LOL
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I've never tried a harness as I had heard it encourages a dog to pull, but after reading soe of these posts, I might invest in one.

Although he's a lot better after using a canny collar for a while, Bryan does pull if he's with another dog. Not massively, but enough to need correcting quite frequently.

I'm getting a foster dog pretty soon so I might try a harness on Bryan andsee how it goes. The canny collar was good, but it's a right faff on when I want to let him off lead. The harness could just stay on I'm guessing?
My crew keep theirs on for just bimbling about/running/playing off lead for walks, they are designed for comfort and freedom of movement, [ well, Trails are anyway ].
If you did decide to get a Trail, this is the config and fit if its any help for you

Any probs getting good results, feel free to give me a shout and I`ll explain some training games for harness I`ll sort taking some video footage at some point though as its easier to show than to explain
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Harnesses 'can' encourage dogs to pull as it can be instinctual with certain breeds (not just mine, but others too!), so many people in these breeds (especially those wishing to work their dogs) are not encouraged to use them, as they need to know the difference between when they are working (ie, wearing a harness) and when they are walking (lead and collar).
londonchihuahua
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-03-2008, 07:04 PM
All my four wear a harness, They all walk to heal (most of the time except when they want to sniff other dogs!) so I dont have too much of a problem with pulling.

I have read about chihuahua's and pugs having weak trachea's so I use the harness just incase. I did use a collar on my pug before his harness arrived and he seemed to weeze more than normal (he was a pup and not quite trained to be a normal dog!!!) plus I am worried he will slip a collar as he has such a fat neck! lol

They all now have Puppia's Harness's! It makes them look extra pretty on their walks too!! lol To impress the big doggies of course!!!!!!!!!!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Kingsley (Yorkie) can't be walked on a collar as he has a collapsing Trachea
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks Patch! I've ordered one on the spur of the moment from Petplanet Can't remember what it's called now...but I'll let you know how I get on.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Sam has a slipped disc in his neck so he can't use a collar. But he seems to pull less with his harness on.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2008, 11:51 PM
I occasionally use a harness on my Finnish Lapphund and rescue bitches. I use one with multiple contact points and mainly when doing something new with them eg negotiating obstacles in a certain way. According to Tellington Touch techniques the use of a harness not only gives better control to a dog that pulls, more importantly it gives you more contact points so you can use the harness with a double length lead attached, say, on the mid-point of the back and at the sternum. This allows steering if you use the lead as a you would a pair of reins.
The effect on the dogs is hard to describe and much easier to demonstrate, but they are visibly more in tune with me and focussed on my movements.
Mary
Leema
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2008, 07:34 AM
Have not read the whole post, only the first post.

Any training device dogs can be trained to pull on. Mac does not pull on his harness. Clover is still learning not to. Everything is so exciting when you're 6 months old!

I use harnesses because I feel they give a clear message to my dogs. On a harness, my dogs are allowed to tug occassionally, stop and pee on stuff, and interact with other dogs. Also, if I use a flexi lead, I only use it on a harness as I don't like dogs pulling on their necks to extend the lead.

When my dogs are on their collars, they are expect to pay attention to me, no attention to other dogs, and just generally anticipate my instruction rather than 'do whatever'.

I think the dogs clearly know the difference between the two. They must feel significantly different to them and Mac you see him switch on immediately with the change. Clover, as I said, is still learning!
Page 5 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »