Female 

03-09-2006, 08:02 PM
well i am open to idea's ???

MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by madmare
Please don't use that method. I know a Staffie trained by one of the dog Borstal instructors using that and it made him very aggresive.
To be fair, you could, I would imagine, take almost any training method, no matter how kind it may seem, and there will always be at least one dog which it simply doesn't work on, and yes, may even make things worse. However, for other dogs, that exact same method may well be the one that works.

I think that so long as the sound is unique, in that the dog is not going to start jumping at sounds that it would hear almost daily, then it's at least worth trying with any dog. If it doesn't work, or the dog seems to get worse, then just stop. Same with any non-violent method really.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 08:07 PM
its just a gentle shake enough to make the stones rattle .......i would never frighten my girls by wacking it around hard they just looked as if to say whats that mum once i had their attention then the NO NOISE they seemed to be ok ........I am not a shouter plus the noise to to loud they would never hear me LOL
Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-09-2006, 08:13 PM
I think it's classed as a (sound) diversion technique (similar to using an air pump).

It's basically used to divert the dogs attention
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Hi Inca,
not saying not to use it, just saying to be careful. The Biffters is a terrible barker and idiot when people come round!!!
One suggestion that has been made to me is just to say 'thank you' when he starts...it does sort of work as I do it quietly...
Another thing to do is to completely ignore them....ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!! Ye, like that's possible with 4...can't so it with 3!!!!!
The bottle thing gets used a lot on Dog Borstal and initially I thought it was a good idea...but now I have to admit I'm not so sure....
How about you 'load' your 'no noise' command with a treat so they want to do it as soon as you say it and try reinforcing it at other points in the day...just say 'no noise' when they're being quiet anyway and treat them????
Axxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Thats exactly how it should be used Inca it is simply to get their attention on you. You should be able to just give it a gentle tinkle in a while and it will have the same effect.
I used it on Rio from when she was only 8 weeks old because she was so gobby no one else could be heard, and voices just make the chaos worse, whereas a tinkle on the bottle stopped her in her tracks, and made her focus on us. Haven't used it at all in months now as she always looks to us first for direction. The best thing about it is the volume is totally within your control depending on how hard you shake it.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1
Hi Inca,
not saying not to use it, just saying to be careful. The Biffters is a terrible barker and idiot when people come round!!!
One suggestion that has been made to me is just to say 'thank you' when he starts...it does sort of work as I do it quietly...
Another thing to do is to completely ignore them....ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!! Ye, like that's possible with 4...can't so it with 3!!!!!
The bottle thing gets used a lot on Dog Borstal and initially I thought it was a good idea...but now I have to admit I'm not so sure....
How about you 'load' your 'no noise' command with a treat so they want to do it as soon as you say it and try reinforcing it at other points in the day...just say 'no noise' when they're being quiet anyway and treat them????
Axxxxxxxxxxxxxx
done the thankyou bit good girls for letting me know tried the ignoring tried the be quiet ..all without fail see its hard when all four are barking to get any attention from them ...as for treats they haven't stopped doing it so no rewards are due .......I have even tried throwing food down hoping they would scramble for it giving me enough time to get through the gate but nope they are nosy cavaliers who just want to greet ..i have to admit it has become a problem
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-09-2006, 08:22 PM
The important key of course is to be ready with the command that you want to happen at the very second you have the dog's attention. Without that, you may as well throw a cotton bud at the wall. Hmmm... I wonder...
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 08:24 PM
thats a good idea they might shut up and sniff it LOL
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by madmare
Due to my trainer who comes on here telling them to ditch it and how to deal with his problems he is now a sociable friendly chap.

Is that the trainer or the dog?
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »