Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 07:17 PM

Dog Borstal - Sound Diversion Techniques

did any one watch it tonight ?

thought the idea of the stones in the plastic bottle worked well ...what did you think
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 07:19 PM
I watched it but seen the idea of stones in a bottle before in a book, it works well doesn't it, that is how we managed to stop Zuki jumping up at people , now she is apprehensive of strangers and waits to be greeted.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 07:27 PM
i am thinking about it with my girls when the door knocks its like all hell breaks loose and i know thats ok BUT they continue to bark at whoever comes in ...only friendly greeting and they all jump up nothing i have tried has worked

sometimes i can't get back throught the baby gate and the noise is awful with all 4 going
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Yup watched it. I do admire what they do but also remain acutely aware of clever editing to make things appear more remarkable than what they actually may have been.

The bottle -- I love the principle but, true to my core belief in dog training, I hate relying on tools that can't practically be carried around with me wherever I go.

With our GSD, I give a sharp "YAK" sound which acts on exactly the same principle but I know I always have my voice with me, wherever I go.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 07:32 PM
my prob is i am softly spoken ...OH says NO and they all back off

i know the prob is I am not the pack leader here
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Inca
my prob is i am softly spoken ...
Good point, I hadn't considered that.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 07:36 PM
ok found 2 bottles ( yes been digging in the recyle bin LOL )

one for the back door as well as when i let them out its like a barking flash that runs out the door in the morning ..but again OH lets them out they trott out like Angels:smt091
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Please don't use that method. I know a Staffie trained by one of the dog Borstal instructors using that and it made him very aggresive.
Due to my trainer who comes on here telling them to ditch it and how to deal with his problems he is now a sociable friendly chap.
I am sure my trainer will give you more info on it all later.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 07:56 PM
ok just put to the test OH went round the back and knocked the front door Quite loud and they all ran to the kitchen gate barking their heads off i shook the bottle and they all stopped and looked at me ...Bonnie started again when i went through the gate so i have associated the words NO NOISE with the shake ............and hey she shut up

this seems to good to be true so i will keep you posted
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Hi Inca
I sort of agree with Madmare here, you need to be careful about what the dogs are associating the sound with, it can scare them, so you don't want them to be scared of fearful of you...it's the sort of thing that can work, but you need to be very careful with, it's provoking fear and that doesn't always get followed by the thing you are looking for....
Ailsa x
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »