View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 06:41 AM
Hope thimgs sort out. Id keep apart while you are at work, better safe than sorry & its only for a few hours. Years ahead to be together
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 06:48 AM
Hallo, I agree, I'd keep them separated for the moment, as it may be fine but I think best to always err on the side of caution

Wys
x
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 06:55 AM
I would seperate them for some time yet while you are not there.
Better they want to see each other and miss each other than risk a big fall out and then they really hate each other and one gets badly hurt.

So pleased to hear the good news that they have played. They will get there.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 07:26 AM
Thanks everyone - they are separated and will be reunited, hopefully snarl-free, at lunchtime

x0x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Quick update folks.

Gingers were reunited at lunchtime with minimum fuss. I was home for about half an hour and there were no incidents. However, Len was scared of Bun again, so avoided her.

This evening things were better. Baz was home at 3pm and made a fuss of both and gave them a treat with no adverse reactions.

There's only been one "growly face" each this evening, two separate incidents, so pretty good considering how grim it was.

Thinking about tomorrow - would you separate them again, even if they do have a play nicely together in the morning?

Thanks folks xx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Thinking about tomorrow - would you separate them again, even if they do have a play nicely together in the morning?

Thanks folks xx
DEFINITELY it is far too soon IMHO to start becoming complacent, I would continue to exert extreme vigilance for at LEAST two weeks..............

Good Luck
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Im so glad you're seeing some good progress but please dont rush it. You dont want to go two steps forward, three steps back. I would keep them seperate when you're not there for as long as it takes to know that they are completly safe together. It wont do them any harm to be apart. Baby steps!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks guys.....
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Those baby steps coming along nicely Vicki Really lovely to hear.

When I have introduced a new dog at home, including some stressed foster dogs, I always give them a gentle 'bootcamp' for the first few weeks at least. In that time I set the boundaries, keep adrenaline levels low and take time to introduce them to the existing dogs. I watch them during play and don't let it get out of hand. I keep them seperate when not supervised or if I am out for the first few weeks until I am confident they have resolved any initial tension that existed between them, if any. I am mindful of toys and food etc and try my hardest never to set the dog up for a fall.

There were toys hanging from the rooftops here once......then Jacub arrived

On the first night Isaac was given free access to the living room with the other guys he took himself off into the kitchen and pawed the door shut behind him. Couldn't flippin believe it when I heard the door click shut. He vanted to be alone

Sabaka took 6 months to truely breath out and settle down. Darc was so stressed when she arrived that she slept for 48 hrs but settled the minute she opened her eyes and found the couch, where she remains Jacub took a few months to stop some unwanted behaviour resultant of his time in kennels but trusted and bonded really quickly with us. All so different but all totally settled given time

Sabaka gave Isaac a hard time when he arrived (she would never have even looked sideways at Storm ) Darc wasn't keen on Jacub, too loud and bouncey for the laid back lass Isaac and Jacub had no wisdom and no social skills so had a few scraps in the early days. Neither of them willing to give up and a time I'm glad to see the back of. They are all a tight little unit now. They have their own little unique ways in which they relate to each other and it's heartwarming to see.

Give Len and Bunnie a hug from me. Fast forward a few months into the future and they will be bonded and good friends

Take care.

Seoniad.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 05:51 AM
Morning everyone, and thanks so much for all your responses.

Things are pretty good here at the moment. We've had the odd growly face, but nothing much more than that.

Len and Bun had a bit of a play this morning, which was heartwarming to see. I have trouble getting the grin off my face.

Oddly, Lennon seems to be the one who's less tolerant now and will go from being too scared to walk past Bunnie, to being really grumpy and instigating the growling, and yet he's the one who starts the playing...... daft dog.

Anyhoo, I'm keeping them separate at night and when I'm out, as per all your advice, and will continue to do so until I'm 100% sure there'll be no more unhappy incidents

Onwards and upwards

x0x
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »