View Poll Results: Entire Males
Entire with No problems at all 49 77.78%
Entire but wanders/scent marks in house/humps 2 3.17%
Entire but developed related health issues 4 6.35%
Entire but aggressive 1 1.59%
Neutered but still humps etc 8 12.70%
Neutered but still developed health issues 0 0%
Neutered but still aggressive 3 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Mav (bc) is 10 months now and i have no intentions of getting him done, he has no issues/problems from being entire...but obv is still young.

My last male gsd i kept entire, he had absolutely no issues and loved everybody and everything.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:25 PM
I've never neutered my male dogs, and Mack is entire, have never had an issue with aggression or humping, and Mack has so far ignored bitches in heat if we meet one out walking.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:29 PM
never had a humping problem with either entire dog, current dog does hump one neutered male and one female at times but he does stop when you tell him and the other dogs dont seem to mind really.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Years ago we had a lab/whippet who developed behavioural issues and we had him castrated at two years old - the issues went away immediately and he was a completely changed dog! We also had a pure lab who we never had castrated and he did wander off a bit was wasn't really a problem.

In later years, I have known two entire dogs who had problems and had to have surgery to save their lives, plus a bitch with pyo, so there is never a question in my mind when faced with the neutering issue.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Entire male here with no problems (not hormone related anyway )

Always had entire males and never had any problems. Nothing is set in stone tho
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:49 PM
We have 3 entire males, all lovely temperaments.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Always rescues & came to me neutered, until Barney who came to us entire at 18 months old.

I had no intention of castrating Barney as the behavioural inconveniences to me ( I don't consider them problem behaviours as they were entirely normal) were manageable.

But he developed a tumour on his anus which was fuelled by testosterone, so the first line of treatment was castration, as this was far less risky an op than trying to remove the tumour which would probably grow back. Unfortunately the tumour didn't shrink so it still had to be removed, but he made a full recovery

There were fairly quick behaviour changes, all of which made him easier to live with, but I wouldn't have had him castrated if it wasn't necessary.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm quite surprised so many dogs had behavioural problems that instantly disappeared after castration. They cannot really have been solely hormonal as Testosterone/progesterone/oestrogen do not instantly disappear from the dog's body on the removal of the testes ! Just as spaying a bitch doesn't remove all the bitch's sex hormones instantly.

This isn't my opinion it is a biological fact
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I'm quite surprised so many dogs had behavioural problems that instantly disappeared after castration. They cannot really have been solely hormonal as Testosterone/progesterone/oestrogen do not instantly disappear from the dog's body on the removal of the testes ! Just as spaying a bitch doesn't remove all the bitch's sex hormones instantly.

perhaos because owner attitude changes when they are castrated? ie they no longer pre-empt as they have been neutered....?
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

08-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post

Isn't it likely to be the placebo effect on the owner.

Adam
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »