register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Add prong/choke collars to the shock collar partial ban?
Add just PRONG collars to the ban 14 24.56%
Add just CHOKER chains/collars to the ban 1 1.75%
Add BOTH Prong & Choker collars/chains to the ban 36 63.16%
Don't care whether they are added or not 1 1.75%
No - don't add them to the ban 5 8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 05:31 PM
I agree with Claire - it's the use of the collars that make them cruel, not the collars themselves.

I've had most collars on my dogs except the prong collar.

Choker - didn't like it, only used for little corrections before Benjie would respond to treats. I never dragged him, or let him pull on it til he choked... None of them wear a choker now.

Half checks - I think I didn't fit it right, although it was loose but still made Louie yelp when he pulled, his fur got trapped in it.

A flat collar - what they have now, only Louie and Sadie's are padded on the inside at the front - doesn't do much tbh and Benjie's is a leather one.

The prong collars look awful - I saw them in my local store and was horrified. Never seen anyone buy them - I thought they were only America's invention and only used over there.

I don't think slip collars/leads or handler collars/leads should be banned as such - I don't know, I have used slip leads on my dogs when we take them to the beach as they are easier to slip on and off and they are mostly off on the beach.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Re: half checks, yes we used to use one too, as a safety thing so Keisha wouldn't slip her lead more than anything, I would just wondering if they were frowned upon too .

re: choke chains - yes I agree, it does depend on the handler but in this day and age you can't trust a lot of people not to misuse them sadly, so I say ban them.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 05:40 PM
half checks to me are more about the noise,i use half checks with all my pups..correctly fitted they should not tighten.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Re: half checks, yes we used to use one too, as a safety thing so Keisha wouldn't slip her lead more than anything, I would just wondering if they were frowned upon too .

re: choke chains - yes I agree, it does depend on the handler but in this day and age you can't trust a lot of people not to misuse them sadly, so I say ban them.
most people do not even know how to put one on correctly..so yes i would chokes too... imo they are not the same as slip leads..as all the slip leads i own have a rubber bit to stop it from tightening.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 05:51 PM
I think "Pinch" collars should be added to this. Otherwise it will be a "slipway" for Prongcollar users to get past any ban
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 06:02 PM
A check chain is no different from a slip collar or lead, the effect is the same.

Pinch collars are available in the UK and are not banned, they are often seen on pointers and setters at KC licensed trials before they are worked.

Personally I am not in favour of bans, I do not believe they are necessary. People should be able to have a discussion about any subject provided they are not hurling personal abuse.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Should prong and choke collars be added to the shock collar ban?

Absolutely they should. If people wish to promote their use they don't need our help to give them a better internet profile.

I have noticed almost without exception that the people who come onto the site to promote these devices range from the sarcastic/rude to the downright odd who will stop at nothing to get their message across

I think there is a message in there somewhere ....
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-02-2011, 07:11 PM
Apologies everyone I inadvertently ticked the wrong one .

I meant to tick..
Quote:
Add BOTH Prong & Choker collars/chains to the ban
but ticked...

Quote:
Add just CHOKER chains/collars to the ban
so that is another point for the former option..

So I make that 22 voted for the proposal and 2 against so far..
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 07:22 PM
I voted for a partial ban on prong collars.

I do believe that there are people out there who use choke chains thro being misguided and remembering the likes of Barbara Woodhouse rather than being cruel.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 11:03 PM
I voted to ban both.

I just cannot conceive of a world where I routinely hurt my dog, especially for the 'dreadful' sins of pulling (because he's excited to be out on his walk) and I really feel I need to improve my dog training skills and work on patience and understanding if I cannot see any alternative to punishment.
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »