Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I still think you need to go back to basics. Can he walk down the road in a civilised manner with you? If not, that is the place to start.

btw - be careful the collar doesn`t become a crutch for you. It is a training tool, not something he will need long term.
Before this little set back, yes he can. He may lunge in every 1 in 100 people and it's usually because they are doing something funny like messing around or walking strangely. I can read his body language and avoid this before he goes. Dogs are a bit hit and miss,mostly he gets too excited if he does want to go over to them but he was improving a lot. Walking is still very much a work in progress and aside from the group walk we ventured on, I'd say we have still not progressed past basics

Re: the collar. I know it's not a long term thing but he really can't cope without it right now. It brings down his anxiety and raises his threashold enough for us to be able to progress easier. I plan to get him to a point where he can cope without it, but not yet. I can't afford to keep him with it forever anyway...it's cost me £20 a month!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Just a thought...... because he's always on some kind of lead, he never gets to have a really good run does he? My dogs love to run, even old Georgie at 12 years old sometimes has his little spurt with his ears back and a big smile on his face. Maybe Cain desperately needs to do this, but I know how difficult it is for you where you are, you need to find somewhere, he can chase a ball, or run around with a good friend and really have a good run. I wish I could take him with me on a morning bike ride, he'd just love that!! Keep that chin up, he's not as bad as you think, you'll get there eventually I'm sure.
gsdgirl:-)
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Poor you xx i can feel your pain! and the advice you gave on my thread was fantastic...remember...
Make a list
Re read my thread to remind yourself of the Cain list, it helped me so much xxx

Please pm if you need a rant, we'll go through it together and maybe in a couple of years we will be the ones writing success stories to other people

xx
its so hard to think of the good stuff at the moment but one good thing will happen and you'll forget most of the bad
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Just a thought...... because he's always on some kind of lead, he never gets to have a really good run does he? My dogs love to run, even old Georgie at 12 years old sometimes has his little spurt with his ears back and a big smile on his face. Maybe Cain desperately needs to do this, but I know how difficult it is for you where you are, you need to find somewhere, he can chase a ball, or run around with a good friend and really have a good run. I wish I could take him with me on a morning bike ride, he'd just love that!! Keep that chin up, he's not as bad as you think, you'll get there eventually I'm sure.
I manage to get him off lead about once or twice a week when I can get this one park empty. I throw a ball for him and let him go mad and run it out. Really he needs a good run every day but it's so hard to find somewhere empty. It's so frustrating and one reason I find keeping him on lead so miserable, I want to exercise him properly. I can't take him on a bike ride and I tried jogging with him but I'm shockingly unfit!!!! I'm working on the jogging but we won't be running marathons any time soon! I try and take him for really long walkson weekends. Its a hard situation to manage. We do play ball in the house a lot (I have a very long hallway) so he can run a bit. We try! But I live for the day I can let him run and play properly.

Karly says there is a secure field near her so hopefully on the Kiki walks he'll get off lead time and dog play, which would be great.

Originally Posted by gsdgirl:-) View Post
Poor you xx i can feel your pain! and the advice you gave on my thread was fantastic...remember...
Make a list
Re read my thread to remind yourself of the Cain list, it helped me so much xxx

Please pm if you need a rant, we'll go through it together and maybe in a couple of years we will be the ones writing success stories to other people

xx
its so hard to think of the good stuff at the moment but one good thing will happen and you'll forget most of the bad
I know, I know. I must sound hypocrytical after me telling you not to give up!!! I shall certainly PM you for a rant, I know we are both going through the same thing. We will soldier on. You know what the ups and downs are like. Dogsey has been a godsend, without this support I think I'dfind it hard to recover from the trips, brush myself off and start again. So thanks so much guys
gsdgirl:-)
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2010, 08:36 AM
I know, I know. I must sound hypocrytical after me telling you not to give up!!! I shall certainly PM you for a rant, I know we are both going through the same thing. We will soldier on. You know what the ups and downs are like. Dogsey has been a godsend, without this support I think I'dfind it hard to recover from the trips, brush myself off and start again. So thanks so much guys [/QUOTE]

No not at all hypocritical, one day its good then next its not...one day at a time, i agree dont know what id do without Dogsey sometimes either xx
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Yes I totaly agree here
I know how hard it is - trust me - Mia reactive with no recal
But I worked really hard and found a few areas I can let her offlead - found waste ground, safe beaches - allsorts
I found her behaviour has been so much better now she has the chance to run like a nutter once a day

I know it is difficult!! but a good sniff after a fox trail, zoomie bouncing in long grass and a bit of pupy smackdown with Ben and Mia sleeps all day happy and content
Without it for a few days and she starts reacting to every noise outside
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 09:10 AM
I know, the exercise thing drives me mad. I had my first driving lesson in a long time last nigth and the instructor said I can drive and just need a bit of practise. He said i can take test within a few months. Once I have a car hopefully I'll be able to get him to places where I can let him off....hopefully! Or at the very least I can drive him to and from the park where I can let him off until we get it empty!! Curenly it take us 30 mins to walk there so if we get there and there's people, it's kinda tough luck. But with a car we can pop back and forth a few times. I hoping with the bad weather less people will be out walking dogs so I'm banking on wet, windy late nights to get empty parks!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Once you're driving, you're welcome to pop over here weekends or even evenings if you want. It's probably 25-30 mins in the car, there's space to park (it's a private road) and I can join you (especially as OH is going to be bailing out of a lot of walks once it starts raining ) or once you know the route you can go off on your own if you want the peace and quiet.
(I feel kind of weird butting in with offers of help all the time, if you want me to shut up just say, but having hunted for relatively dog-free, quiet fields for Casper, the ones here to have proved the best so far!)
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Once you're driving, you're welcome to pop over here weekends or even evenings if you want. It's probably 25-30 mins in the car, there's space to park (it's a private road) and I can join you (especially as OH is going to be bailing out of a lot of walks once it starts raining ) or once you know the route you can go off on your own if you want the peace and quiet.
(I feel kind of weird butting in with offers of help all the time, if you want me to shut up just say, but having hunted for relatively dog-free, quiet fields for Casper, the ones here to have proved the best so far!)

I am sure Amanda is very grateful for both yours and Kiki's support.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
I am sure Amanda is very grateful for both yours and Kiki's support.
ABSOLUTELY I am thankful for everyone's support here on Dogsey, but you and Kiki have definately been a bit of a godsend. So don't apologise! Once I get my car you be thinking "OMG, why did I make all these offers...won't she ever go away!"
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >