Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Hiya zoundz - well done for coming out with it
I just started uni this year as well, and I don't make friends easy - whenever I force myself to venture to the pub I always end up calculating how soon I can leave and get back to the dogs and home! I know what you mean about talking to other people in the park as well as Ziggie isn't a social dog (he's played with another dog once in nearly three years ) and just won't tolerate another dog jumping on him etc. I think a dog club would be a good idea, help with training duds, like minded people that will give you space while giving your very cute fella time to adjust as well...every now and then they drag me to the pub and it's not as bed when the only topic of conversation is dogs, dogs, dogs, training next week, oh and dogs try looking for a training group rather than classes with a paid instructor - it's a subtle difference but the cost is a quid or two rather than huge amounts and the people tend to be friendlier and have a good idea what they're doing - and there's always us lot to fall back on...
Feel free to pm me - in fact please do! I'll give you cake
Have you got MSN messenger? it's a good way of chatting to people "real time" like having a proper conversation - what course are you doing?

Hazel & co.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2005, 12:41 PM
oooh yes I live oin MSN messenger - though not as much recently! zoundzy@hotmail.com

I don't think there are any jazz clubs in the area for playing music like - I know there's a social club up the road which has jazz every wednesday (I go sometimes) but it's mostly older people (not that I mind) but they expect silence for the music (which is fair - and so do i! ) I have been to a few jazz gigs - but it's hard without someone to introduce you to people. I know this is a bit of a digression but... when I was around hte London Jazz scene a few years ago I was close with a gentleman who's one of the top ten drummers in the UK (my old teacher) and he is a vry very very close friend and he introduced me to so many wonderful famous jazz musicians it's fabulous - i got to meet so many great people and go to ronnie scotts etc (ronnie was a very good friend of my gentleman friend) anyhow - that went a bit pear shaped - and though we still talk he's not able to see me much really.

ANYWAY! I will try and seek out some jazz clubs -

I am studying Media and English - however I have a problem with that - in that the people on my media course are odd :S I shouldn't say things like that lol - no seriously - i have tried to get on with them - but i guess I'm not one of the 'beautiful people' i don't wear miniskirts and platform heels to class so i get odd looks and people go out of their way to NOT sit by me meh - the shallowness of the student mind I like a few people in English, but it's hardas one of my close english buddies Nick moved to France this year for a year out and I don't know many other people...

xx
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Hiya - Have added you mine is agilitydogz@hotmail.co.uk for anyone who's interested (and so you know who I am!).
I'm studying applied biology and tend to turn up in jeans and t-shirt (occasionally a dog hairy t-shirt if we've had a rushed cuddle but I do brush the worst off before I leave the house!), there are a couple of people on my course that are ok but I don't dwell with the "populars" either - they should really try and buy a skirt instead of a belt
It's a shame your friend went to france, i know how you feel one of my best friends from school went to America to go to college which left me in a bit of a lonely depression - but MSN is great for that (and a hell of alot cheaper than phone bills ) I haven't joined any societies or anything as joining fees etc. seem to be quite steep and like you said centre around drinking, maybe we should start an online "HFWS" student society ie. Have Fun Whilst Sober! Anyone else want to join?
Hazel & co.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki
Cake? Cake?
*calculating milage.....*
I'll pick you up on the way through Vicki (used to live in Croydon). I'll drop my daughter off at her Dad's first

I've added you both to my msn contacts list
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz
I know this is a bit of a digression but... when I was around hte London Jazz scene a few years ago I was close with a gentleman who's one of the top ten drummers in the UK (my old teacher) and he is a vry very very close friend and he introduced me to so many wonderful famous jazz musicians it's fabulous - i got to meet so many great people and go to ronnie scotts etc (ronnie was a very good friend of my gentleman friend) anyhow - that went a bit pear shaped - and though we still talk he's not able to see me much really.

ANYWAY! I will try and seek out some jazz clubs -

Wow! You'd have plenty to talk about then, in jazz circles.

but i guess I'm not one of the 'beautiful people' i don't wear miniskirts and platform heels to class so i get odd looks and people go out of their way to NOT sit by me meh - the shallowness of the student mind I like a few people in English, but it's hardas one of my close english buddies Nick moved to France this year for a year out and I don't know many other people...

xx
Don't worry about being yourself - who wants to be like everyone else anyway? How boring! Anyway, I bet if you were a fly on the wall with some of these people you'd be amazed at just how shallow they can be. Be yourself and be proud - anyway there are lots of other people coming from your point of view, the reason you don't get to meet them is that they probably don't hang out down the pub etc. Keep your chin up hun. And I think you are very brave to tell people how you feel btw.
HUGS
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2005, 01:12 PM
(Is it me or do the rep point icons keep disappearing???)

Ignore me - it's me. I was looking in the wrong place
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz
but i guess I'm not one of the 'beautiful people' i don't wear miniskirts and platform heels to class so i get odd looks and people go out of their way to NOT sit by me meh - the shallowness of the student mind I like a few people in English, but it's hardas one of my close english buddies Nick moved to France this year for a year out and I don't know many other people...

xx
Then that's thier problem if they give you odd looks. Not being the same as everyone else is what makes us individual in our own right. Love you for just being you. Being a 'beautiful' person is just superficial.

Have you thought about self help groups, especially one for confidence building. If you feel better on the inside, you won't care what others think you look like on the outside.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2005, 01:38 PM
where do you find out about groups like that please wolfie?
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2005, 02:32 PM
yes... I see a couple of counsellors a lot and I have tried cognitive self help therapy - which doesn't work for me - it makes me more nervous lol... I am an anxious wreck! lol!

We got an email today though, through uni mail about working as a volunteer for childline. Some of you know of my terrible experiences as a kid and perhaps I can help other kids and meet some new people at the same time? I may give it a go.

xx
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-10-2005, 04:07 PM
you have loads of friends just not that local, you could try to help the kids who knows how they feel other than some one whos been there and come out the other side.
if i'm ever in wales i'm coming for my cuppa and cake as well.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >