View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Sorry you're having a hard time at the mo, some GPs are useless. Mine included! Here are some of my thoughts on "dieting" incase you're still at a loss!

Firstly, don't beat yourself up about what you eat. You'll feel gulity and just want to eat more and then you're in a viscious cycle. If you want something nice have it, but each time have a little bit less to the point where you still feel like you're having a treat but it won't put on the weight.

In my opinion diets just don't work. Staying the same weight involves correct eating habits. Change your habits and you'll keep the weight off for longer. It might help to write everything down that you eat so you know where you're going wrong, but don't use that as an excuse to attack yourself over times when you go off the beaten track! We all do it!

The best way to loose weight is to keep yourself on the brink of hunger. That way the body's metabolism is kept going, but you burn body fat instead of calories from food. Try to eat little and often. For example when I'm "watching my weight" (hate the word diet, it just oozes punishment! ) I only eat when I'm hungry. I'll have a light breakfast so I'm hungry for lunch. I'll have something light for lunch so that in 2-3 hours time I'll be hungry again and treat myself to something nice to tide me over til tea! That way I can still eat what I want (to a point) and not feel guilty! Always wait until you feel hungry before you eat, that way you know when to eat and when to not! Like someone said I'm not sure how long you have, eating this way only allows you to lose 2-3 lbs a week, but it means the weight stays off. Also avoid fruit etc that is high in sugar. Some fruit is great, but something like a banana can contain over 200 calories so try to stick to apples and pears.

Lastly, try some low impact exercise. Swimming is ideal for you as it allows for low impact but consistent exercise. Going full pelt for 15 minutes twice a week will do no one any favours (remember that people for the next time you're in the gym and you see someone trying to look fit and clever by running on the running machine for 1 hour! You'd burn just as many calories fast walking for half the time! ) the longer you exercise (slowly) the less sugar the body burns from the liver and the more it burns from body fat!

Remember there are no easy fixes if you want to lose weight and keep it off, but once you have the right mind set it's a doddle. Especially when you have something to aim for! Try to stay positive regardless, no one is perfect at the end of the day! Good luck!
CavvieCath
New Member!
Female 

09-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Zoundz
Our uni doc is worse than my current gp lol - it's why I changed to my current one in the first place LOL!

I really cant afford to jin clubs right now - and all my mates are lathes. I found a book and vid of the rosemary conley diet - looks practical - think I'll give that a shot!

xx

Most students arent into diets ! Probably a money issue as I know how skint they are (I work for a University Students' Union).
Have you tried to cut out bread, potatoes and pasta ?? When I was losing weight before I ate alot of veg curry.......throw lots of veg in a pan (fresh or frozen) with a can of chopped toms and curry powder...hey presto !! Very cheap, yummy and low fat aswell as good for you
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2005, 02:44 PM
wil try that - and stews etc. I thought we ate healthily for students lol! we don't eat fast food or anything... and we don't drink... :-S Can't win LOL! And oh how I shall miss toast, potatoes and pasta... and rice i guess too... that's my staple diet! oh well - I guess I'll have to cut down or stop alltogether!

and thank you very much ripsnorter the 2nd - that was very helpful.. I will let you all know how I get on.

xx
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-10-2005, 01:27 PM
Reading all these threads has made start to think and examine my own diet I dont eat anything that is high in fat, I had abou a glass of wine a fortnight and do at least 30 mins of excercise 4 times a week.

But I do like my rice and pasta ... I have to admit they are easy meals to make after I get in from work. I can't stand curries, so we have never had them as a takeaway, I will make the odd one at home though for my husband. But then I dont use any cream or anything like that in it.

We do have a lot of stir fries in a oil and water spray that I buy from the shop, we dont eat any red meat, in fact the only meat we do have is chicken, occassionally we will have fish as well, but not that often. OH has mackeral for lunch though. I go to the shops and buy myself a chicken and salad sarnie nearly every day I should make it myself and save the £15 a week it costs. I got a real buzz last night as we did a jog last night and I felt a lot fitter than what I did 2 weeks ago, I could run much further, still got out of breath but it felt a lot more comfortable. I do swimming though as I'm too ashamed of my body, so definately do NOT have a set of bathers at home. Although the leisure centre is only 5 min drive away, yoga I did think of but dont think I'll do it, so I'm thinking of Pilates, I tried a few stretches last night and god am I sore today, I'm taking really small steps when ever I have to leave the office. I must look ridiculous, but I did enjoy it and think that if I joined a class I might make some more friends as well.

I found out today at the local leisure centre has a new course beginning in a few weeks, so might go along and see.

Thanks for all the advice that has been put up by to other DW's its been great reading it all
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2005, 02:35 PM
Is it possible you have a thyroid problem? Underactive thyroids are fairly common and you put on weight by eating thin air! Other symptoms include, feeling down and tired.
Dawn.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn
Is it possible you have a thyroid problem? Underactive thyroids are fairly common and you put on weight by eating thin air! Other symptoms include, feeling down and tired.
Dawn.
Is that for me or Zoundz ?

If me, then it isnt a thyroid problem as I was tested for that a long time ago and retested a few months ago and they both results came back as normal
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2005, 03:11 PM
For both! its something more common than people think. Glad your results were ok.
Dawn.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2005, 03:17 PM
I have never been tested but my mother has either over or underactive thyroid - so a point worth looking into!

thanks!

xx
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz
I have never been tested but my mother has either over or underactive thyroid - so a point worth looking into!

thanks!

xx
Definitely cos it does tend to run in the family!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Right, im in my element. 6 years ago i was constantly tired, lethargic and depressed. I ended up having a borderline underactive thyroid. I had put on 2 stone. Now at weight watchers it FAB!!!! I get weighed in on tuesday nights. That is tuesday cheat night...anything you want to eat you can!!!! BUT the rest of the week you stick to between 18-25 points (depending on lifestyle, hieght, starting weight etc) Veg is no point, bread 1 point per slice pasta (portion) 3 points fruit really low point etc.,...really easy

its the pastry and cakes that are high in points Greggs pasty = 9 POINTS!!!!!

Anyway...You keep on it you can lose 2-4lbs a week..Ive lost two stone since last summer and i have had about 2 months worth of non loss weeks and a good many gain weeks when i havent stuck to it

Please give it a go...i really cant stress how much of a similar situation i was in and its really helped (oh and ignore your mum, shes probably jealous of you rafbuloous curves!!! and try bravissimo...they do bras not haulage gear as you mention!!!)

Best wishes...always her for some motivation if you need it!!!!

Alex
xx
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >