Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizzieb
New Member!
Female 

07-01-2014, 07:29 AM

Needing toilet every hour during night

I've had my 12 month old Labrador 1 month now. She sleeps upstairs on our bed and gets up on the hour every hour to ask to go out for a wee what can I do ? I didn't get up this many times with my daughters when small v tired
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2014, 07:57 AM
You need to get her checked by a vet for a bladder infection first as this would make her wee more frequently.

If that's clear, I think you need to look at her sleeping arrangements. It could be that she is still feeling vulnerable after her previous experiences (whatever they were) and she is waking you up just because she can!

Personally, I'm not a fan of dogs in the bedroom, let alone on the bed, but then I value my sleep too much! Every situation appears worse when you are tired but I would definitely get her checked out first. Good luck!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-01-2014, 08:07 AM
I agree with the advice given by Fivedogpam [except for the sleeping arrangements part as my dog sleeps on my bed!] and hope you can find a cause and a cure for your girl, but would like to say

Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2014, 09:23 AM
Welcome to Dogsey

Do you go out with her? Is she definitely going for a wee or are you letting her out in the garden and can't tell if she is or isn't?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2014, 09:56 AM
Every hour? And she's actually peeing? Or is she just begging to go outside for some random reason? If she's peeing, or squatting trying to pee... then something is up and a vet visit is in order. She shouldn't need to pee every hour.

She might just be harassing you, which I think is WAY more likely. My puppy would do this when he first got here. I would turn down the lights for bed and he would snatch on my hair tug of war style. It hurt extremely badly and it took a bit to get him to cut that out. I also started wearing serious hats to bed...

He then moved to smashing my face with his big, stupid paws. Also very painful. I ended up crating him when he would do this annoying stuff.

After a while... he stopped and slept like a good boy because he hated his crate, which was eventually placed into the garage because his yowling/yapping would keep everybody awake at night.

There isn't a solid reason to keep a dog in your bed if it causes problems. Remove her from your room and crate her etc. if she's merely being annoying.

My puppy was allowed up on my bed when he was little. Now he is too big (over 30 kg) and there is no way I am letting him in my twin sized bed to get all in my way and lay on me .

It took some time and training, but he is fine with being on the floor or on his dog bed. You have a Lab, same as me (Lab mix) and they learn things quickly and easily.

Your dog is a year old, in good health she can sleep through the night without needing to wake up to potty. Don't allow her to annoy you with pestering. Set some ground rules and she will quickly learn.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

07-01-2014, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by Imana-Banana View Post
Welcome to Dogsey

Do you go out with her? Is she definitely going for a wee or are you letting her out in the garden and can't tell if she is or isn't?
I'd ask the same tbh, is she definitely having a wee each and every time, is she squatting and producing very little or is she just asking to go out but having a sniff about instead. If she's actually weeing every hour that's excessive, if she's squatting and producing very little or nothing that would indicate a uti and she needs to see a vet. If she's just going out for a sniff and an amble you can start to train her out of it.
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Take a urine sample to your vet and have her checked for a UTI. Wouldn't expect this from a dog that age just wanting to go out at night for the fun of it. UTI's are usually easily sorted.
Meg
Supervisor

07-01-2014, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzieb View Post
I've had my 12 month old Labrador 1 month now. She sleeps upstairs on our bed and gets up on the hour every hour to ask to go out for a wee what can I do ? I didn't get up this many times with my daughters when small v tired
Hello Liz where did you get your dog from,
what is she like during the day ..
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Agree with the others about having her checked out,but here's another thought....maybe she doesn't want to be on your bed,too warm maybe,or some dogs just prefer their own space
Mine sleeps with me but a few times she's wanted to go downstairs in the middle of the night,lies down on the kitchen tiles,to cool off I'd imagine Could be way off but it's just a thought...wish you well xx
Lizzieb
New Member!
Female 

07-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Hi during the day she fine I don't usually have a dog upstairs but her previous owner let her sleep on her daughters bed so that's what she's used to.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >