View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2006, 11:52 AM
I, myself would not use a crate, like you I don't agree with them. But I have to say my sister got a tricolour colour cocker spaniel from a breeder, she has had her for 7 years now and she will not sleep anywhere other than her crate (I can only suppose she feels safer in there). They tried everything to get her out of it - but to no avail.

The crate allways has the door open - so not entirely sure why she should feel safer - but she loves it!
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2006, 12:04 PM
Hi

I am using a crate for my new Shar Pei pup Diesel, had never used one before but had read alot that they were a good idea.....he so far has never really liked it, the door has ALWAYS been left open and he will go in there to eat or drink but has never slept in it or stayed in it for any length of time, he is rarely left on his own but when he is, he is confined to one room (with the crate) with a choice of places to sleep, soon he will be moving into the kitchen (i have cats so have needed to keep them apart when unsupervised), i will be putting the crate in there, but have big doubts that he will use it.

Although i was happy to give it a try, i do feel as a dog is supposed to be "man's best friend" i much prefer to cuddle up with him on the sofa or find him sleeping upside down under the bed. I do not crate or cage my cats in any way so i have to admit i am a little uncomfortable using it for my dog.

I don't think the crate will be a permanent fixture in my house but the choice will be Diesel's and not mine.
Paul G.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-08-2006, 04:20 PM
This has been a useful debate and I am grateful to everyone who has taken part.
The consensus seems to be that, if used occasionally for a specific purpose and for very short periods, or as a permanently open alternative to a dog bed, the "crate" may be beneficial to both dogs and owners. I won't disagree with that.
Of course we have not heard from the habitual long-term "Craters", which is not exactly surprising. However, if this exchange of views has made any one of them think again about the morality of what they are doing, it will have served its purpose.

Thanks everyone.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Paul G.
Of course we have not heard from the habitual long-term "Craters", which is not exactly surprising. However, if this exchange of views has made any one of them think again about the morality of what they are doing, it will have served its purpose.

Thanks everyone.
Hey Paul - maybe nobody on here crates their dogs for long periods of time as they've thought long and hard before crating at all? When I was researching getting a dog in the first place I found info on crating (and decided against it) and all advised only ever leaving a dog shut in there for very short periods and mostly leaving the door open. Also never, ever using for punishment.
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Hey Paul - maybe nobody on here crates their dogs for long periods of time as they've thought long and hard before crating at all?
Well said LS.
This is a great place to learn about all aspects of dog care including the appropriate use of crates, this thread reiterates the right way to treat your dogs

Rachel
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-08-2006, 08:30 AM
I have to say I am agreat beleiver in the use of crates, have always used them and always will,but it sems to me to many people are abusing them. Crates are ment to confine a dog for short periods only I still use a crate for my 3yr old girl, but she only goes in there when we go out, and will only be left for up to 3hrs at the most........I despair the amount of people who are using crates and locking their dogs in for up to 6/7 hrs while they are workingthis is not what they are for my dogs are never confined to the crate when we are at home, they have free roam of the house, I will always advize new puppy ownere to use them ,but if the cant be with or have some one come into the dog throughout the day , then they should`nt have a dog let alone a crate.
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2006, 11:57 AM
sorry but i have to agree with paul. g.

i know someone who works full time - she then decides to buy a puppy and leave it in a crate for 6 hours a day and doesn't even come home to let it out for a wee during the day. this particular person really disgusts me.

i have never used a crate even as a training aid, i don't like them.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2006, 12:05 PM
i think we are all in agreement on here that crating a dog all day is not a good idea. I would be surprised if anyone on here does that, as LS pointed out.
I was anti crate until I used them for the pups, now I think they are an invaluable training aid, for us, in our situation (ie. young child and 2 other dogs) it is better for everyone if the pups are happy in their space (and safe).
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2006, 01:07 AM
I was never sure about using a crate. When my Staffie injured her leg recently, and my vet advised surgery, I borrowed a crate from a friend who trains guide dog pups. 2 months ago, Missy tried to get into the crate the first time I was setting it up. I put her bed in it and left the door open, and Missy sleeps in there ALL the time. She has now had her surgery and is on strictly no exercise for a month. The extent of the no exercise includes no climbing on furniture, jumping up at the window or people, and no walking around the house. I have to carry her out to relieve herself. So far, she is being good about it but how long can a boisterous Staffie keep this calm ? The vet has advised me to keep her in the crate IF she starts moving around too much. At the moment, I am on holiday for 2 weeks, so can supervise her all the time. When I go back to work, as I work night shift, I will have no option but to shut her in the crate overnight. During the day, both me and my mum are at home. When Mum goes to bed, and I am at work, rather than risk her climbing on the furniture and causing more damage to her leg, she will have to be shut in. She has had metal pins put in her leg to stabilise her bones until they knit together. I would never normaly think of shutting a dog in a crate all night, and once she is better, I will not do so. However, under these circumstances, for my dog's long term health and under veterinary advice, I need to shut her in overnight for 2 weeks. Sorry.
tillytails
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Although I'm still to get my first dog, I've read quite a lot about crates. One of the potential benefits not yet mentioned is said to be if your dog ever needs to stay at the vets. If they're used to a crate (when used properly) and see it as a safe haven, then that's one less thing to stress them when crated somewhere strange.

Obviously I can't comment from experience so thought I'd throw this in to the debate to see if anyone can talk with more authority on it.
Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >