View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-07-2006, 06:02 PM
I have a wonderful dog and his breed is irrelevant!

Rottweilers though are my 1st choice,but i wasnt ready for another and Vegas ticked all the right boxes at the rehoming shelter at the time.He's got plenty of stamina cause i like walking,very playful,gets on very well with other dogs and life would be very dull without him...
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 06:15 PM
I have to admit that if I had been going to choose a dog it would have been a Yorkie (had a gorgeous Yorkie when we were growing up called Angus and he went everywhere with us) - but I was never going to be able to get another dog because my son is very allergic to them.

However OH had other ideas - a friend's girlfriend bred her Dobie and we went to see the pups when they were just five weeks old. Our son was fine and didn't have any reaction at all (it's so violent is allergy that he reacts within minutes of being near animals - funnily enough he was never that bad with our cats but forget him going near anyone elses).

Anyway little did I know that OH was testing the water and five weeks later I was sitting watching TV waiting for our friends to arrive to help OH celebrate his birthday. When in trots little Suki. From upstairs a dog crate appeared, a bag of food, toys and other pup accessories - all hidden in my son's room (they reckoned that was a safe place as how many mums venture into their 15 year old son's bedrooms?).

Suki is now six months old and I wouldn't swap her for anything. Dobermanns have huge hearts and are so cheeky as I'm sure other Dobie owners will agree.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie
It all started when I was about 3! I hadn't seen the film, neither had my friends and I don't know how I found out about dalmatians but I have to say it was all cosmetic at first!
I loved the way they went from podgy, cuddly bundle of spots to beautiful, elegant dogs.

When asked what our favourite animal was at school other children would reply 'horse' or 'cat' etc. but I always said 'dalmatian' - no, not dog! dalmatian!

I asked for a dalmatian puppy every single Christmas and birthday from the age of 4 until last year but Santa was mean!

At the age of 7 I started reading about them properly and discovered the lunatics for what they really were. I had been collecting dalmatian ornaments, posters, towels, teddies etc for a couple of years by this time and I was besotted!

The thing I love about the breed is their nuttiness and their ability to have fun. Their little quirks like their smiles and the way they look at you for food.
Their ability to go out and get totally covered in mud and yet by the time you've walked home, they're clean again!

Their intelligence also inspires me and I have to say one of my main reasons for really wanting a dal was to prove to people that they're not thick.
Their readiness to learn and their enthusiasm is something you just can't take away from them and they love to work.

Best of all - their ability to sense how you're feeling and always cheer you up. They're total clowns!
Now I feel bad.
My son is just like this. Desperate for a dalmation, but me and oH keep saying no, that the next dog will be...well, it used to be I wanted a newfie, OH and son said no, but yes to a great dane, but now, having had Saturn for 6months we (me and OH) have finally settled on a flattie when we lose our 2 old guys ( so hopefully not for a while yet!) My son though Lottie, would still insist on a dalmation...oh no, feel really bad now...have some reading up and pondering to do.....
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 06:32 PM
To begin with when we were ready to get a dog we decided on a labrador,because of their super temperment ,and we have 3 grandchildren,so that was a real must,we were lucky enough at the time to have a friend who had a lab ,who we fell in love with so that was our main reason for getting this breed but i have to say that i now love everything about them ,and from the moment gemma came into our house it felt as if she'd always been there .
murphydog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2006, 07:57 PM
hi my dogs definatley chose me!! my big old dog jumped into my friends field one sat morning,we were in there with her dogs we didnt know how he got there cos she lives at the end of a dead end track in the middle of nowhere!! i had decided the time was right for another dog and like big dogs like gsd and akitas,we advertised him but no-one came forward so i kept him! i have traced the company that trained and sold him(he is trained as a personnel patrol and attack dog) and i love him!! he is about 8years now and old age is getting to him! bless him! i have also got a 6mth old x-breed pup that was handed into the vets that i work at when he was 6wks old by somepeople who had only had him an hour!!! he is a star he sees the funny side out of life whereas the other dog is so serious!!!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-07-2006, 08:09 PM
I have Labradors and a mongrel, Labs because friends and family kept them and was always impressed with there temperament, intelligence, cheekiness and happy go lucky personality. We got Jake the mongrel because in was in and out of the dogs home as a pup and would have gone back there once more as my brothers circumstances changed and he could no longer keep him, he got on really well with storm and we had room for him so that’s that
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 08:47 PM
well, i got indie (staffie) because i wanted a strong confidant dog with alot of personality. and we are so alike, stubborn, strong willed, completely nuts, lol. I like having a dog with lots of energy, that thrives on havin individual attention, and i just take her out on my own and enjoy her company. she gets me out of the house and always makes me smile

I hadnt even thought about having a dog, but i met the loveliest staffie where i work and fell in love. They are so people friendly and just want to be friends with everyone.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2006, 12:51 PM
I have a longhaired German Shepherd and a black tricolour rough-coated Border Collie.

German Shepherds were my favourite breed from being a child and I always knew I would own one. I admired their good looks, brave characters and utter devotion to their owner. I can't see me ever being without one now.

When I opted to get a second dog, I chose a Border Collie. I wanted something a little smaller than a GSD, but also wanted something very active, intelligent and to compliment my shepherd. I couldn't be more pleased. My grandparents were farmers in rural Southern Ireland and so I had spent many happy summer holidays there playing with the farm collies and my collie reminds me a lot of those happy days
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2006, 01:06 PM
Well I have two german shepherds, and I have now had 6 of them to date. The reason I like shepherds is when I was about 12, my Mum and Dad rescued a great big german shepherd guard dog one day, and I loved him to bits, took him everywhere with me, and looked after him myself for about 9 months. Then one day I came home from school and he had gone!!! My Mum and Dad had taken him back because she said he made too much of a hairy mess in her lovely clean house!! I was devasted to say the least, so as soon as I left home I bought a little spaniel puppy with my boyfriend who I moved in with, who I adored, (the dog not the boyfriend!!) she even came to work with me! Then we split up a year later and he wouldn't let me take my little doglet. Again I was heartbroken, not about the boyfriend, but the loss of my little dog. Soooooo, I went and bought a little spaniel puppy again, but this time I had her for life until she was 13. When I married my husband we were given an 18month old gsd from a friend who bred them because it had gone for one of her breeding bitches, a collie, and then a month down the line, she wanted her back!!! I couldn't go through all that again, but luckily when she came round to collect her, she realised the dog didn't want to know here anymore coz she loved me more by then, so she let us keep her! Awwwww From then on, it's always been gsd's for us, and two at a time as one gets that bit older, we get another one to give them a new lease of life. My latest one is my first ever rescue, and I would always,always rescue again, but next time I'll go for an older unwanted one. We are moving to France by the end of this year, and intend buying a property that's quite remote, so I shall probably have 4 gsd's (or more!), and become a hermit!!
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 09:54 AM
I love reading about why everyone has their dog/s, I know theres plenty who have not told us so come on and spill
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >