View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2008, 12:39 PM
I paid £75 for Bryan from Dog's Trust and I don't think that was too much.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2008, 12:47 PM
I do thinkk the cat costs can be excessive sometimes...but I am with the fraction that feels that people should be able to pay for dogs in all walks of life..our local rescue asks for £90 for a dog and £60 for a cat (neutered/microchipped/vaccinated and de-flea'd)...

I think you can pay in installments if you wish.

If you want a particular dog I don;t think it is too much....but if you are just wanting to rescue often you will find people just asking for a new home in the paper......

Our rescue is full at the moemnt - mainly becasue people are giving up the dog as they are going back to full time work
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I paid £75 for Bryan from Dog's Trust and I don't think that was too much.
That is really reasonable.

Dogs trust obviously make a lot of money judging by all the tv adverts you see...so guess they can afford to be less pricey. I am surprised though, thought it would have been more!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
IIf you want a particular dog I don;t think it is too much....but if you are just wanting to rescue often you will find people just asking for a new home in the paper......
Problem with that is you won't know anything about the dog, it won't have been assesed by a professional and you won't have any support if it goes wrong.

I don't know about DT making 'a lot' of money, I think they are just fair and realistic when it comes to the prices.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2008, 04:36 PM
From what i have heard Dogs Trust is one of the best recues if not THE best (with their lifetime support, matching right dog etc) - as i said was surprised they were so reasonable with their charges.

They must make a fair bit of money cos a TV ad costs thousands to run and they must have 20 ads on at least a day??
But not saying there is anything wrong with that, but like any of these charities that you sponsor something i always wonder where your money actually goes...
I would love to know more about Dogs trust, anyone...?
To confirm, not slating dogs trust but it is run very differently to the average rescue centre.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Gillbo64 View Post
My nearest rescue centre is one of the Jerry Green homes, they only charge £80 for a crossbreed but still have the policy of "We will not put to sleep any animal unless it is certified to be incurably ill or unmanageably aggressive."

They raise additional funds through having a shop at each centre selling all manner of doggie related goodies, they also have fun days & their website has a simple "donate now" click button. They have even got their own lottery! Another clever method they use is their "Sponsor a Kennel" scheme.
They are run by a combination of paid part & full-time staff plus volunteers.

And before you ask, NO I don't work for them lol! I am just impressed by the amount of ways they raise funds & therefore keeps adoption fees to a minimum
The rescue that I voluntered at was just volunteers and one man who ran it who didn't have a job as he was dedicating his time to the dogs, he is a staffy rescue and at the moment is over run, he has volunteers who run car booty stores for him but he don't have a lot of time and is with the dogs 24/7, he drives up north to spay/neuter his dogs cheaply, and he did as course that meant that he could chip them himself and save money, but he still has to charge about £100 for the dogs to cover over costs like good quality food, bedding, additional medical costs, cleaning materials, gas and electric, petrol costs for getting the dogs places, the list is really endless, he would do more things if he could but he can't, oh and to make some money he does a doggy day care for £10 a day per dog.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Problem with that is you won't know anything about the dog, it won't have been assesed by a professional and you won't have any support if it goes wrong.

I don't know about DT making 'a lot' of money, I think they are just fair and realistic when it comes to the prices.
Humm...assesed by a professional.....
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Humm...assesed by a professional.....
I think that she means that it gets assessed by a behaviourist if it comes from a rescue.
spaceman
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-10-2008, 06:41 PM
This thread is enlightening. I really didn’t appreciate that people say “lets get a dog, where can we get one cheap”.

One important issue has been missed. Many people go to the rescues because they believe (amongst many other reasons) in giving a dog a second chance. They decide on breed, sex, age etc then look at all the rescues to find the right dog. They let their heads rule their hearts, they take advice from the rescue staff/volunteers – they don’t adopt on impulse. They know about the costs and the responsibility of ownership. The homecheck is a formality because they’ve researched and planned. When they find the right dog, then they’re happy to pay/donate – they don’t set a budget. Often, they will continue to support that particular rescue.

I believe it is very wrong for people to adopt a pet and rely on the PDSA. The PDSA is a charity, in times of economic doom and gloom, they may have to make choices too.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I think that she means that it gets assessed by a behaviourist if it comes from a rescue.
I know.....

but they don't always!! Trust me!!
Page 5 of 20 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »