Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
Had one walk past me with her child (and I'd made the dog sit down to one side trying to get me to give the treat out of my hand so he looked as non-threatening as possible) screaming and screeching "JUST KEEP ON WALKING, DON'T LOOK AT THE NASTY DOGGIE I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY LET IT OUT ON THE ROADS THEY SHOULD BE BANNED, KEEP ON WALKING KEEP ON WALKING YOU'RE ALMOST PAST THE NASTY DOGGY!"

Could have slapped her to be honest.
This is really irresponsible IMO - the parent should teach a child how to behave around a dog and introduce them to as many as possible i think. Many parents just reinforce the kids being scared by their own behavior.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
That is exactly what my parents would have done if that had happened to me

The thing is that dogs don't bite unless they are upset so consequently a child who isn't allowed to touch dogs stands a far better chance of one day being bitten because they don't know how to act around dogs It is madness It is like parents who are scared of their children drowning so they don't teach them to swim as they don't want them to go in the water!!

I often tell my children that if a dog bites them, our own dogs included, then it is because they have upset them and it is their fault and not the dogs.
Although i agree that most of the time there is a reason why a dog bites, there are also dogs that bite without provocation too
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Although i agree that most of the time there is a reason why a dog bites, there are also dogs that bite without provocation too
But the provocation could be a bad experience - such as being grabbed by the collar before receiving a thrashing. So innocently someone could just take such a dog by the collar ... and seemingly, without provocation, gets bitten.

IMO there are ALWAYS reasons why a dog has bitten seemingly unprovoked.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by kazer View Post
We've got one couple who won't come in our house because of our two. They seem to think that because Robbie is quite big, and Lady is giddy then they are scary.

But then another couple comes round and Lady loves one of them. She crawls over him and just rests her head on his chest staring at him while he strokes her. Tart!
I get that reaction on the beach when Guinness is off lead. Because he's so big he worries people!! He's such a softie though. I think coz he's muzzled too they automatically think he's dangerous! he's only muzzled because he's an ex-racer!!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 09:34 AM
I grew up with dogs but Oscar was afraid of anything with fur and 4 legs when he was little. By the time he was 2 years old, he would run screaming and crying from dogs. My ex-SIL had a Yorkshire Terrier who Oscar clearly wanted to play with but she jumped up at him and that seemed to instill a deep seated fear.

I worked really hard with him - introducing him to all sorts of animals, including dogs. I would ask peopel in the street if he could just look at their dog without having to approach or be pproached. Nobody ever said no. Eventually after bout 18 months of this we had Zane as a small puppy.

Now Oscar loves all animals and has obviously grown up with the dogs I have now. He helps to walk them (well OK, he has a separate lead so I have overall control), he also owns a hamster who he feeds himself, he rides horses without the need to be led.

It was a lot of really hard work but it paid off. If only those stupid parents could see how enjoyable animals can be if their children and the dogs involved are given a chance, it would make all the difference.

I've noticed that when I take my dogs into schools, there are alwqays some children who say they are afraid and sit at the back so they don';t have to make contact with the dogs. It's surprising how many of them do actually come forward to say hello to the dogs when they see their friends doing it. but of course, they haven't got their silly parents telling them they'll get bitten etc.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
But the provocation could be a bad experience - such as being grabbed by the collar before receiving a thrashing. So innocently someone could just take such a dog by the collar ... and seemingly, without provocation, gets bitten.

IMO there are ALWAYS reasons why a dog has bitten seemingly unprovoked.
I don't agree sorry
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
I don't agree sorry
Fair enough! Still doesn't put me off you !!
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
He's such a softie though. I think coz he's muzzled too they automatically think he's dangerous! he's only muzzled because he's an ex-racer!!
I know that feeling!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
My dogs are NEVER shut away ... if visitors don't like them, then they know where the door is!! My dogs are part of my family, I would no more dream of shutting them away than I would my daughter. In fact, thinking about how appalling my daughter's behaviour can be even now at nearly 24, I think I am far more likely to shut HER away!! I go nowhere where my dogs are not welcome ... if they are not welcome, then I am not.

Ooooo this anti-dog, germ, danger thing really gets my goat!!
Hmm...we don't get a lot of vistors (surprise surprise LOL!), so I'm not too bothered about putting them elsewhere on the odd occasion we have guests. That only means means shutting them in the kitchen or conservatory, which they are used to anyway. Even so...one of my dogs in particular isn't the best behaved, and not everyone wants ot be slobbered and jumped on by a 32kg ball of energy. My other two are far less offensive!

I have a lot of family members that are not dog people (understandment!) and even a few friends that dislike dogs, so I don't force them on anyone. Each to their own.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 12:20 AM
Oh man do NOT get me started on these sorts. I hate parents who instill fear of dogs in their children. Their kids ARE going to come across dogs in their life and it's far better to teach them how to act around them. Kids who don't are the ones who end up being bitten.

I once was walking Dahlia in a local park and there was a mother there with her two young kids (oldest was a girl about 4 or so, the boy was younger). She was throwing stuff for the ducks with the little boy and didn't even notice her daughter wander off toward me. The little girl asked if she could meet my dog and I was happy to let her. Just as she got near her and was about to pet her, the mother SCREECHED, ran over, and shouted "GET AWAY FROM THAT THING!!"

The little girl then started to cry, Dahlia looked scared, and I wanted to smack the lady.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4