Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaosjoey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2008, 04:35 PM

Alternatives to kennels

I was just wondering if anyone had had any experience of using an alternative to kennels whilst they are away, e.g. someone coming to your house or your dogs going to someone else's house?

We are hoping to go away next year and we are going to look at kennels in the new year (need to get xmas out the way first!) but with Chaos' nervousness, I am worried about how she will react. Also, they never stay outside when we're out or at night so I'm also concerned about how the both of them will deal with that.

I might be completely over reacting and once we go visit some places and take the dogs on a tester stay they will be fine but I want to explore all options!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2008, 04:40 PM
There are dog sitters, some that stay at your place for you and some that the dog stays with at theirs. Mine will be going to a sitter when I go to Crufts, as Loki is not boostered and I would worry about them in kennels. Loki loves a cuddle on his mummy's knee in the evening. I worry that he would be depressed in kennels. Plus they will get out for walkies during the day too. My dog sitter is also a walker with lots of experience. She will also feed raw and doesn't insist on boosters.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2008, 04:41 PM
I've used kennels in the past with no trouble at all - an excellent kennel about 10 miles away from where I live.

Now, though, I have someone live in who adores my dogs and that way their routine is unaltered.

Mind you, in the current financial climate, I'm unlikely to be holidaying anywhere soon.......

madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2008, 04:51 PM
I use a dog sitter too mads enjoys it as she gets lots of walks and snuggles on the sofa and she sleeps in my room at home and i was lucky enough to find a dog sitter that lets her sleep in her room so her routine is the same as if she were at home.
I work as a house sitter and thats another great way to keep your dogs routine as vicki said above.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2008, 05:13 PM
I have used kennels in the past, but I now find that the lure of foreign shores is not like it was. So we tend to stay in this country. Centre Parcs, or short weekends away and son looks after dogs
I think that you need to research your kennels though maybe get some reccomendations. Home sitting can be expensive but the up side is that your dogs are in their own eviroment.
Elaine x
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2008, 05:14 PM
If you use a dog sitter be VERY careful, ESPECIALLY with a nervous dog. Imagine if she got past their legs, or off her lead, this has happened many times with pet sitters and you will have no comeback as their insurance wont cover your dog.

Kennels will be secure, a nervous dog is usually fine. I would suggest a couple night stay whilst you are at home, this time of year is good as its quiet in kennels. Leave them and if there is a problem you can collect them and you will know that kennels are a no go, but dont wait untill its too late to find an alternative.
chaosjoey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the responses so far everyone.

As you say Borderdown, that is another worry I have if Chaos gets out of the house and will not return. It took the dog warden half an hour to catch her when she escaped from the garden before.

However, we will definitely look at every option and go to visit the kennels and try a stay over for a weekend or two before we actually go on holiday.

Just need to get Christmas out the way first - too much to do and pay for there!!
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2008, 07:39 PM
I have a friend who is a dog groomer and she also does boarding so Pepper stayed with her when we went on holiday and she'll have Gozo as well next year. I'm very lucky and it's a perfect solution for us as the dogs live in her home with her and her dogs (Elkhounds and a Finnish Spitz) so they are in a home environment with plenty of company with someone who is very experienced with dogs that I trust completely. So I can relax and enjoy my holiday and not feel guilty.

You've got plenty of time to look around so you might find someone in your area offering a similar service that you and Chaos could get to know before you go.

J