View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2010, 10:08 AM

I want a puppy Greyhound so it wont chase.

Serious understanding of sighthounds here, I can tell you.

My cousin had a retired Grey for a matter of months, before deciding that they couldn't cope, they left him on a normal dog collar, and then wondered why he found it so easy to escape, but didn't think much of it, as he would always run home and when someone said that her dog should be on a lead she told me (and very much believed it) she was of the opinion, and told people 'that its fine, he's a Greyhound, its not as if he's going to bite or anything' and if he got out of their garden it was fine, afterall he only stayed around the flat when they were decided to rehome him on, he almost came here, but she lived far away and decided it would be easier to give him to a friend of a friend, who then rehomed him again, I've no idea where he is now poor thing.

Anyway she saw Honey and Diesel the other day, and has said that her and her OH want another Greyhound they have four kids who are hetic, the older one is always going out of the front door and leaving the door open, the two year old has got out before now, and they have two cats that are already scared by the children, and adult cats who haven't been use to dogs either (they were brought after the Grey was rehomed) they could work it out, but these poor cats are already terrified, one is so scared of the children that she doesn't come in unless the children are elsewhere, if she see's them she either freezes or runs and tries to get out, so I really don't think that they need any more animals to say the least! And to top it all of her OH said to me that he wants a puppy Greyhound so it wont chase, I tried explaining to him that training may help, but even getting a puppy chances are it will have some chase instinct, and wont be as calm in the house as the retired Grey they had as it will be a puppy, but he's adamant that he's going to get a puppy Greyhound from somewhere and it wont need a lead, I'm thinking of taking him to the next Greyhound (and Honey and Diesel) walk I go on, so that other people can tell him the nature of a sighthound too, maybe with people who have worked with rehoming them, and have had them for decades he will listen? Yes nuture will help, but nature is a strong and even when you see nice calm sighthounds in areas if you talk to the people who are walking them chances are that the dogs have chased a woodland creature at some point in their lives, tbh though if I thought that they were suitable to be a home for a Greyhound I would help them look for one, but to say I not sure of their capabilities is a bit of a understatement if they think that they can walk a Greyhound, let alone it being a puppy with excitable children everywhere they go without a lead, and think that a Grey will never bite because of its breed, when Honey and Diesel are use to children, have never shown any aggression, and have been walked by them, and trained by them, I wouldn't trust her kids round them, they are very loud, and very rough too, one of her boys was bitten by a collie recently, to say I'm not convinced it was the dogs fault, well again is a bit of a understatement! God help me, I'm not even in the position if they get a dog to take it on after them, as I already have too many pets, so I'm dreading one day them saying that they have a dog.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2010, 10:32 AM
If they can't manage a retired adult greyhound which are the easiest dogs in the world they will not manage a puppy one. They are sight hounds and will chase.
Firstly I think they need to train thier children, when they have got them under control and all have learned about shutting doors, and then they need to learn what to walk them in and how it is not ok for any dog to be able to get out and be loose then maybe consider it.
At the moment they are not suitable for any dog let alone a sight hound.
Sorry if it sounds harsh but its true.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2010, 10:37 AM
I agree with you Madmare, tbh the fact that they are considering a sighthound and expects it to not to need a lead makes me feel sick, and puppy can act like a puppy and in doing so get into trouble, but a fast puppy with owners who don't understand the nature of a sighthound (clues in the title) in the least, any poor pup will be just heading into trouble if they get one.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Agree with the 2 above posts,we have 2 show beagles the working line in them is non existent yet when they get a scent that instinct kicks in and unless i'm on the ball they're off. My cousin has 2 springers that aren't full working lines but they kill any bird or small furry animal they can get their mouths on All of the dogs i have mentioned have been got from young pups,no amount off training can 100% override these deep rooted instincts in a dog.
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-09-2010, 12:25 PM
I guess you have to do your best to convince them what a bad idea it would be i have been around greyhound pups and they are totally nutty! They also need to remember that a puppy greyhound will grow very quickly and they will have a very large energetic puppy on their hands.

The instinct will almost definitely be there even if they lucky enough to get an dog deemed unsuitable for racing and described as a non-chaser that will not be 100% the case.

One of my greys is 9 and she still has a keen instinct and loves to run and chase, and my grey who is 10 in a few days rarely runs anywhere and just can't be bothered but even he can muster up a bit of energy when the old instinct kicks in.

We are currently fostering 3 children, one being a baby and the dogs are fantastic with them but again the children have been taught manners with the dogs and the baby who is just crawling is supervised at all times. ....

I some times worry that the reputation that greyhounds make as being "fantastic, easy pets" can be mis-leading to people who don't understand sight hounds. Don't get me wrong they are wonderful and easy pets and i will always have greyhounds but like any dog they need respect and understanding from an owner. and not to be mistaken for anything other than that.

Just hope your cousin and partner see sense.

Show them this thread!!!

xxx
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2010, 01:54 PM
I think I will show them this thread, anything to help them see what Greys are truelly about, and I'm going to really try and drag them along to the next Greyhound walk I go on (theres on in October), as speaking to other people, and seeing all the Greys on leads and being told why may help them see sense, fingers crossed it works, I just really do not think that they should be looking at getting any dog right now.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2010, 02:48 PM
People like this are so frustrating! Surely if they can't control and look after a retired greyhound, then it's obvious that a puppy is going to be even harder! Greyhound puppies are nuts from what I hear and a completely different beast to the ex-racer. Axel is sooo easy and calm around children, but I wouldn't trust children like that around him - not fair on him!

Maybe convince them to get a coldfish, no lead needed for them either!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
he wants a puppy Greyhound so it wont chase,
no, no - they want a collie because they train themselves.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
If they can't manage a retired adult greyhound which are the easiest dogs in the world .
I know of a lot of retired Greyhounds that are far from being the easiest Dogs in the world !
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-09-2010, 04:52 PM
I've not yet met a greyhound pup that wasn't a total loony, running and chasey games being a favorite!! They need a reality check... When I was volunteering at the RGT, it was very very common for people to bring dogs back because they had snapped at their kids. Since they are such soft dogs people assume they can let their children do what they like to them, but they have a breaking point just like any other dog
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >