Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2005, 10:00 PM

Final training session was tonight

And Fern was a star

Thanks so much Shadowboxer, we really got a head start with all your information.

He was tested against the class as a competition and here are the results.

FIRST TEST - THE RECALL - whoever could get their dog to come back to them the fastest would win it - and Sir Fern won it, good old separation anxiety caused him to run like the wind to me actually

SECOND TEST - LEAVE IT - A piece of food on the floor, dog to leave it until command given. Fern won this one as well although they gave the prize to another dog (couldn't get two prizes you see).

THIRD TEST - HOW MANY TRICKS CAN YOUR DOG DO IN 20 SECS WITH ONE PIECE OF FOOD - Again Sir Fern cleaned up but the prize went to the second place winner

FOURTH TEST - QUICKEST AROUND CHAIRS ON LEAD WITH DISTRACTIONS - Fern lost that one, lead work isn't his/our strength.

FIFTH TEST - WALKING AROUND CHAIRS WITH MANDARIN IN A SPOON WITH DOG ON LEAD - Fern lost that one too

SIXTH TEST - THE STAY - He was circled, had back turned on him, in a sit position, then he did it in the drop position - still as a statue- Fern and another dog took that title

SEVENTH TEST - OUR TASK WAS HOLD - but we lost the paper and couldn't teach him although we tried to after seeking advice from DW but just not enough time for it to sink in, so he was tested on SPEAK - and he did this perfectly, the trainer was impressed and said for a dog that she couldn't get to bark 6 weeks ago, he really did very well

On speaking to the trainer afterwards we said that we wouldn't mind getting involved in more advanced training, and she said sure, but you are doing just fine on your own - so Shadowboxer take a well deserved bow - Fern is doing A OK thanks to your brilliant advice.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-12-2005, 10:07 PM
well done Fern :smt038

its a brilliant feeling when weeks of training begin to pay off
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2005, 10:09 PM
yay, well done fern, and you as well
What was his prize?
That sounds like lots of fun.
Meg
Supervisor

15-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Wow I am so impressed ! Well done to you both...

and SB too!
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Thanks Carole, you are right.

Hi Brandie, he received a blue chewy squeaky christmas patterned dumbell.

Thank you Mini

The staffy next to us won a pulling toy and was very sweet, the staffy was trying to encourage Fern to pull the other end, but Fern being the mummy's boy that he is, declined the offer

It was a really good course, it's highly recommended in our town so had no hesitation in booking in with them, and she's also organising a sponsored dog walk early next year so would definitely be keen to get involved in this too.

Scottish Mags
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-12-2005, 11:10 PM
Oh well done Fern . I really am so pleased for you.
It is good for you and great for the dog .
I go and sit my Good Citizen bronze Awards on Saturday with my crossbreed Shanook and my Northern Inuit Jim Brown
Wish me Luck
I need it
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Well done Fern!!!!! Really pleased you done well

Good luck Mags.....you'll be fine! I done my Bronze on monday. Just enjoy it

Jules XX
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

16-12-2005, 12:16 AM
Brilliant work Fern and well done MC & OH. Thank you for the kind words, it is a pleasure to help if I can, but the credit is all yours. I am very proud of all three of you I just knew from the start that Fern was going to be an outstanding dog

(I would encourage you to go on with formal training classes, especially if you have even the vaguest idea that you might like to trial sometime in the future).
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2005, 01:09 AM
Wow Ingrid I'm so impressed

Well done Fern, I bet it's much more fun for him too being good and not norty anymore

And well done SB for helping them out so much with such good advice
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2005, 06:31 AM
I, too, amd mega-impressed. What a little star he is, and you deserve a huge pat on the back for all your hard work. Well done!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >