Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2007, 01:59 PM

question thats been buggin me lol

ok - were on the breeding subject at college (im doing an animal mnagement course) and its also an argument at home

anyhow - our subject is dogs - (we could choose any animal)

basically the question thats bugging me is. Millie (my puppys mum) is springerxcollie - i recon about 3/4's springer

her dad is welsh springer spaniel

if millie was put to a border collie (pedigree) how much collie would they have in them???

if she was put to a springer - would this breed the collie out of her??

dont worry - shes not having puppies - im just wondering - can anyone make sense of this for me lol
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2007, 02:28 PM
if millie was put to a border collie (pedigree) how much collie would they have in them???
The pups would be 5/8ths Collie (she says, hoping her maths is correct! )

if she was put to a springer - would this breed the collie out of her??
Not sure what you mean by this, by 'her' do you mean a resulting bitch puppy? If so, the pup would still be english/welsh springer/collie crosses. You wouldn't be able to get rid of the collie influence that quickly. If you mean Millie - it's make no difference to her what breed of dog you used, she'd still be the same.

HTH

Debs
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2007, 02:36 PM
sorry i should have worded that better! lol

ok if she was put toa welsh springer - could he pups be classed as springer spaniels - and be registered as full springer spaniels??

im confusing myself here lol
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2007, 02:38 PM
These two in the pics are litter sisters, their parents are also Spaniel x Collie but half and half. While `even` in terms of parentage on each side, the results within the litter were very varied. [ I did`nt breed them, I know the family who did, there is definately no questionmark over their parentage ].

If Sheba were mated, [ hypothetically only - she`s spayed ], while her appearance and size is very close to her dams it does`nt mean she would necessarily carry on all or even some of those attributes in any pups, so much would depend on dominant genes and all that, plus no one can predict when a `throwback` might occur bringing out predominance from the non`dominant `look` and traits from a past pairing in pedigree`s let alone cross breeds. [ Pods the one to ask really she says swiftly passing the buck ].

In agility terms, Tilly is Large, [ about 20 inches at the withers and very rangy ], Sheba is Medium, [ just under 17 inches at the wither and very compact ].

Sheba

Tilly

[ If I might just be cheeky and slip in a brief off topic comment that Tilly was stolen in 2003, still MIA - Colchester / South east region - I try to mention it any time I post her pic anywhere just on the offchance of her being spotted ].
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post

ok if she was put toa welsh springer - could he pups be classed as springer spaniels - and be registered as full springer spaniels??

Erm no - Millie is a crossbreed and therefore whatever breed of dog she was bred with would produce mongrel pups.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2007, 02:40 PM

Thats an easier question to answer lol - in a word, no. They would still be crossbreeds and not eligible to register as, or be called, full Springers.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Not very up in genetics theory but look at it this way once something is not 100% you can never get it back to 100% however long you breed true from then on. You may get to 99.9 but you can never breed out those genes.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2007, 03:47 PM

basically the question thats bugging me is. Millie (my puppys mum) is springerxcollie - i recon about 3/4's springer

her dad is welsh springer spaniel
If her Dad is a spaniel then Millie is half spaniel.
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2007, 03:54 PM
If her Dad is a spaniel then Millie is half spaniel.
If her dam is 3/4 spaniel cross then she's more than half spaniel

Debs
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
If her dam is 3/4 spaniel cross then she's more than half spaniel

Debs
I need to learn to read better LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >