Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-02-2011, 11:09 PM

Most natural diet for dogs?

Anyone studied or know much about the diet of our dogs closest ancestors, the grey wolf? And would you agree it would be fair to say the diet of a Grey Wolf in the wild, would be the most natural diet for any dog?

I'm particularly interested in how much of the kill they eat. Which bits do they leave? Which bits do they hardly ever leave?

Have any studies been done? Anyone got links to good info?
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Look up the work of David Mech, he's been studying them for decades and is one of the world leading experts.

The 80% meat/skin/fur etc, 10% bone, 10% organs that prey model feeders use as a starting point for feeding their dogs is based on the percentages that are eaten in the wild.

I believe that deer are the main food source on the whole, with smaller prey supplementing the diet.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-02-2011, 12:06 AM
Thanks Evie - I will be sure to check out his work.

80/10/10 sounds like a good ratio to me.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 12:14 AM
Yes, it works well for us, of course some days are more boney, some days less, but all balances out in the end. I find smaller dogs tend to need a slightly higher bone content. But those percentages are a good starting point to work from in finding out what suits each dog.