Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
Hi thanks for your response - I know you keep trying to get off this forum!

I would be interested (like you I suspect) to know how reward training could solve this situation because I don't think there is such a solution. Firstly he is extremely wilful, secondly as he's an adolescent rescue dog I've been denied that precious training window of opportunity when he was young AND thirdly if that wasn't enough, he has an extremely strong prey drive. The only way I can deal with the situation is, as I am currently - keeping him on a lead if there is the slightest chance there's livestock around. As spring approaches that might be all the time.

Anybody?

Sandy
Can I ask, have you worked one to one with a decent trainer? If so what did they suggest?
billyharvey
New Member!
Male 

17-03-2017, 04:41 AM
How do you handle a dog which willfully disobeys a thoroughly trained command? For me if you fully trained your dog how can your dog disobeyed you? unless you show them a bit of discouragement that they feel that you're tired of caring and teaching him, Just my own thought based on my experience.In everything you do for the dog do it with patience and love.
bongo's_handler
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2017, 01:14 PM
I use a light chain training collar on my 60 pound boxer mix, but the only reason I'm still able to handle him with that collar is I started working him at a very young age. (About 10 weeks old) Had I not started early and adopted him as a two year old, I would definitely be using the shock collar. What usually works for me, is I treat 'no' as a command. When I tell Bongo 'NO' I'm really saying 'THAT'S WRONG, DON'T EVER DO THAT AGAIN.' Then, I prooftrain. I try to make him screw up, get up when he's in a stay, open the door and urge him to run out, smear peanut butter on the dishwasher and tell him to lick it, and if he does repeat the behavior, then I give a sharp 'NO!' And pop his collar rapid-fire. As soon as he gets the message: praise, praise, praise. Basically I try to get him to make the wrong choice so I can reinforce the desire not to disobey. I don't know if that makes sense, but Bongo definitely understands. Hope tip his answers your question!
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2017, 01:27 PM
I don't believe you. You are just being provocative.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2017, 03:39 PM
That's gotta be a wind up. Get a dog to comply then correct them for doing so? Nah - wind up
Wheeler
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-03-2017, 09:24 PM
This thread is from 2013.....................is it time for a new thread yet?
Page 36 of 36 « First < 26 33 34 35 36